cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SPCtl.dll does anyone know what this is? it keeps coming up as an unknown file when I run McAfee Getsusp. Thanks

SPCtl.dll   does anyone know what this is?  it keeps coming up as an unknown file when I run McAfee Getsusp.

3 Replies
Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 4

Re: SPCtl.dll does anyone know what this is? it keeps coming up as an unknown file when I run McAfee Getsusp. Thanks

Did you submit it to McAfee via GetSusp?

From what I can gather it's spyware so I recommend you run some extra tools.

Stinger and Malwarebytes Free both are linked in the last link in my signature below.

Reliable Contributor Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Message 3 of 4

Re: SPCtl.dll does anyone know what this is? it keeps coming up as an unknown file when I run McAfee Getsusp. Thanks

This file may - perhaps - be from Toshiba. It comes up in multiple posts in association with svpwutil.exe and mass storage controller problems.

I'm wary of saying that that's what this is because, as Ex_Brit says, it could be spyware or other malware. Systemexplorer finds four other files with the same name, and a lot of sites mentioning this file name have warning flags from WOT and SiteAdvisor.

Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 4

I did Google this and the other one the OP asked about and was just going on the first few results I found.   That's the trouble with these searches, unless you have a lot of time to research, you may land on the wrong results.   Plus I thought I'd better err on the side of caution.

If they are indeed genuine, then McAfee Labs will hopefully clear them, if GetSusp reported them.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community