cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

SPCtl.dll does anyone know what this is? it keeps coming up as an unknown file when I run McAfee Getsusp. Thanks

SPCtl.dll   does anyone know what this is?  it keeps coming up as an unknown file when I run McAfee Getsusp.

3 Replies
Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 4

Re: SPCtl.dll does anyone know what this is? it keeps coming up as an unknown file when I run McAfee Getsusp. Thanks

Did you submit it to McAfee via GetSusp?

From what I can gather it's spyware so I recommend you run some extra tools.

Stinger and Malwarebytes Free both are linked in the last link in my signature below.

Reliable Contributor Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Message 3 of 4

Re: SPCtl.dll does anyone know what this is? it keeps coming up as an unknown file when I run McAfee Getsusp. Thanks

This file may - perhaps - be from Toshiba. It comes up in multiple posts in association with svpwutil.exe and mass storage controller problems.

I'm wary of saying that that's what this is because, as Ex_Brit says, it could be spyware or other malware. Systemexplorer finds four other files with the same name, and a lot of sites mentioning this file name have warning flags from WOT and SiteAdvisor.

Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 4

I did Google this and the other one the OP asked about and was just going on the first few results I found.   That's the trouble with these searches, unless you have a lot of time to research, you may land on the wrong results.   Plus I thought I'd better err on the side of caution.

If they are indeed genuine, then McAfee Labs will hopefully clear them, if GetSusp reported them.