cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Recurring Artemis Infections

Jump to solution

About a month ago, 4-29-17, I ran a scan and McAfee came up with a PUP, I think, carrying the Artemis label. The infection was quarantined and I thought nothing of it at the time. About a week later, I ran another scan, and, to my surprise, Artemis was back. Again, the infection was quarantined. Another week goes by, another scan, another Artemis infection. This time, I made a point to note that the infection was called Artemis!828E9566D57A. I quarantined again, but shortly thereafter, while loading a web page, I noticed, it went to another URL and loaded a tiny page at the top-center of the browser window, indicating that the computer is infected. It clearly did not come from McAfee, but I did not note the URL.

I immediately ran another full scan and up popped another Artemis infection. This time it was 7024EC199C8A. It is pretty clear that McAfee is missing something here. What do I do now?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Reliable Contributor catdaddy
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 3 of 15

Re: Recurring Artemis Infections

Jump to solution

Generally when you get a Artemis! detection,it is detected as a Suspicious/Unknown file/process. In this particular instance,it seems you have inadvertently picked up some Malware/Browser Hi-jacker. To help you remove please run Malwarebytes AdwCleaner and Malwarebytes (Free) Antimalware.

You can obtain these programs from this link; 

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
14 Replies

Jump to solution

The infection has hit again. The URL is to an ad server at softwarefixed.com. And the popup says "Your version of Flash Player may be outdated." Closing the popup can be difficult since it is resistant to the usual browser functions that would close it.

Reliable Contributor
Message 3 of 15

Jump to solution

Generally when you get a Artemis! detection,it is detected as a Suspicious/Unknown file/process. In this particular instance,it seems you have inadvertently picked up some Malware/Browser Hi-jacker. To help you remove please run Malwarebytes AdwCleaner and Malwarebytes (Free) Antimalware.

You can obtain these programs from this link; 

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer

Jump to solution

I installed Malwarebytes and it found some 500+ suspicious items. It continues to show occasional blocked files, so I am waiting to see whether it has corrected the problem or is just controlling it. My free trial expires in a few days and that should tell the tale. I will report back then.

Reliable Contributor
Message 5 of 15

Jump to solution

Are you running the Malwarebytes (Free) Version? For if you have the RTS module enabled it could cause conflicts with your McAfee software and corrupt the installation.

Also could you please check in your quarantined items and see if you still have a Artemis! detection?

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 15

Jump to solution

To alternatively help resolve your Artemis! detection,if needed. Follow these instructions/Guidelines;

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer

Jump to solution

Thanks for the tip. I have uninstalled Malwarebytes. Should I reinstall McAfee?

Reliable Contributor
Message 8 of 15

Jump to solution

If it is not functioning properly, yes. You may still have to submit your Artemis! to the Labs if you still have it quarantined.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer

Jump to solution

McAfee appears to be OK. I ran another scan and got yet another Artemis PUP. Number 612AD7593A23. It's a different Artemis every time. It's like trying to hit a moving target. I will investigate the reporting process.

Reliable Contributor
Message 10 of 15

Jump to solution

As soon as you get a (Analysis ID#) I can report it to the labs on your behalf and escalate your problem.

I am moving this to the Artemis! section, as it is more appropiate.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
Member Rewards
McAfee Community rewards active and helpful members just like you. Click here to take a look at the first community members who received a special reward and were recognized by McAfee leader, Aneel Jaeel, for their participation and trusted knowledge in the community.