cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
waltka
Level 7

Recent McAfee update causes IE freez-ups and buffering problems

Jump to solution

I have a problem for the past three months I finally traced to McAfee updates. IE works fine and then when McAfee updates upon reboot, my IE does not work properly. I can get a website but can"t do anything like load emails. If trying to watch a video it runs for about 30 seconds and freezes up like there is no RAM available.

I am on Windows 7 - 32bit IE-8 (IE-9 has the same problem) To solve the problem I have to restore back to a point before the McAfee update and everything works fine again.  It appears version 11.0.649 is the one that works. once 11.0.654 installs it kills IE again. I've turned off auto updates but of course that doesn't solve anything. I ready to uninstall Mcafee and try another antivirus unless someone can help fix this.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
exbrit
Level 21

Re: Recent McAfee update causes IE freez-ups and buffering problems

Jump to solution

Open a case with Technical Support linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.  It's free by phone or online chat.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

It's only going to keep on updating so constantly restoring is really giving you false hope.   It certainly shouldn't be happening however and you certainly shouldn't have to revert to a previous browser version which is less secure.

Is this Windows 7 SP1 and fully up to date?   If so and you've already tried uninstalling/reinstalling as per THIS FAQ.   You could also check for malware, try Stinger and Malwarebytes FREE (NOT Pro) from THIS LINK.

If it persists then I suggest opening a case with Technical Support Chat

(or phone...it's all free).

0 Kudos
waltka
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thank You for the response. Windows 7 is fully updated. I just downloaded and ran Malwarebytes with zero errors after a full scan. I'm going to fully unistall McAfee and reinstall it next.  I didn't know about the MCPR.exe tool.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

OK, good luck ;-)

0 Kudos
waltka
Level 7

Jump to solution

After going thru the complete reinstallation basically same thing. internet works a few minutes and then freezes up. However when I turn off the firewall everything seems to work properly.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

Open a case with Technical Support linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.  It's free by phone or online chat.

0 Kudos
waltka
Level 7

Jump to solution

Yes - I finally got thru an talked with Technical Support. Their answer was to turn the firewall back on and turn off the Net Guard function. That being done it everything seems to work fine.

She says I don't need the net guard on, the PC is still protected. Sounds funny but it does solve the issue.

Thanks for your help Ex_Brit

0 Kudos
Highlighted
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

Must be something to do with how you connect to the Internet I guess.   Netguard is an extra level of security that was only recently introduced and I think has a few teething problems perhaps.

Give it time and hopefully after a few updates it will work as it should.

0 Kudos