cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Ran the Stinger virus remover, now my computer won't boot HELP

Your PC's Windows Logon registry Value is changed... Pls do the below steps for restore the old registry value that will work on your PC

Enter the Recovery Console

Boot the system using the Windows XP CD-ROM. In the first screen when the Setup begins, read the instructions press "R" (in the first screen) enter the Recovery Console. Type-in the built-in Administrator password to enter the Console. You'll see the prompt reading C:\Windows (Or any other drive-letter where you've installed XP)

(rename the current registry files just incase you want to rename them back)

ren c:\windows\system32\config\software *.old
ren c:\windows\system32\config\system *.old

(access the System Restore backup copies of the registry files)

cd\

c:

cd\system volume information

cd _restore*

dir

and then: cd RP?? e.g. cd RP63 (pick the latest Restore Point folder it should be the highest numerical value from the directory list)

cd snapshot (if this folder is missing "File not found" you need to pick another recent RP folder)

(replace the system registry files using the backup copies)

copy _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SOFTWARE c:\windows\system32\config\sofware

copy _REGISTRY_MACHINE_SYSTEM c:\windows\system32\config\system

(Now reboot Windows should be running back to normal.)

Type EXIT.

Highlighted
vinod_r2
Level 11
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 12 of 15

Please post back and let us know if the above steps worked out.

if it does not I suspect that the winlogon.exe in the machine was infected and was picked up in the scan process.. the steps to replace those can be tried next if you machine still does not work

bjhead
Level 7
Message 13 of 15

Okay I am thinking I am hosed.  I have no System Restore or Back up files.  Is there any help for me?  Feeling very defeated.  I am pretty sure everyone is correct and the logon file was corrupt, is there anyway for me to fix this without the System Restore or a Back up file?

Hi,

That is the situation, You need to Reinstall the Windows...

Repair install of Windows XP by starting your computer from the Windows XP CD

Note If Windows XP was preinstalled on your computer, you may need the installation CD to reinstall. Contact your computer manufacturer to make sure that you have the installation CD for a repair installation.

To reinstall Windows XP by starting your computer from the Windows XP CD, follow these steps:

1. Insert the Windows XP CD into your computer's CD drive or DVD drive, and then restart your computer.
  2. When you receive the "Press any key to boot from CD" message on the screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.
  3. The following message on the Welcome to Setup screen will appear:
    This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:  To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.  To repair a Windows XP installation by using Recovery Console, press R.  To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.
  4. Press ENTER to set up Windows XP.
  5. On the Windows XP Licensing Agreement screen, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.
  6. Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected in the box, and then press R to repair Windows XP.
  7. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to reinstall Windows XP. After you repair Windows XP, you may have to reactivate your copy of Windows XP. For more information, click the following article
bjhead
Level 7
Message 15 of 15

Okay I am thinking I am hosed.  I have no System Restore or Back up files.  Is there any help for me?  Feeling very defeated.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community