cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Member
Not applicable
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 14

REFOG Keylogger - Do not Depend on McAfee!

I intentionally installed the REFOG key logger on my system.  Tested it out and ran it for days...After about a week, I downloaded McAfee from my subscription (my last one to be sure)....Scanned my system and It was never found.   I did this same thing using Norton's - Same result...Wonder of wonders, the "free stuff" (nearly all of them) found it...For example, Spybot for one...The Free version of PC Tools for another.

Calls to McAfee were laughable (at best)...

Anyway, the best combination I have tested so far has been SPYBOT, working together with PCTOOLS and WINDOWS DEFENDER...They caught 100% of the malware and virus I put on my system as a test.  NOTEABLE MENTION.....Goes to MALWARE BYTES...Also very good.

Adware is slipping now...They, like many companies seems to put more time into a "pretty" interface and lost their focus on what their core business is for...To bad, too..They were good once

PS: I'm not looking for any "answers" - I already have them as well as a solution - Do Not Depend On McAfee for any real threats.  Also, One should not included their "spyware" like the SSScheduler or anything else McAfee CLAIMES to make their product better..I could (almost) allow this to stay on my system of McAfee actually used the information to make their product better but, clearly they are more interested these day to have their name out there on baseball parks...Which is fine for me because I love baseball, just not poor products be it "On the field" or, on my system

Message was edited by: Racslider on 3/23/10 3:18:23 AM CDT

Message was edited by: Racslider on 3/23/10 3:19:12 AM CDT
13 Replies
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 2 of 14

Re: REFOG Keylogger - Do not Depend on McAfee!

Why do you think keylogger is a threat? Afterall, REFOG is a McAfee trusted site.

http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/refog.com

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 3 of 14

Why do I think its a Threat?  You're kidding, right?  Well lets see first of all, I have actually Installed this Keylogger on 3 systems..I get to read every email, keystroke and activity one is doing one one of those "OTHER" pc that this keylogger is installed on...You don' thnik that's is a "threat" to ones security?

What's even more laughable is your citing that becase McAfee says its not, then of course, ITS NOT!, Right?  What if McAFEE said to jump off the Brooklyn Bridge? You'd say its OK because THEY said its not harmful correct?

The point is, the whole idea of McAFEE advertising they protect against MALWARE why would they advertise such a thing?  Because it IS a Threat..Yet now when I prove they really DONT protect something as dangerous as a keylogger they have people like you going, "Well THEY don' think its a threat"....Ok Pal, tell you what....if YOU don' think its a Threat...Fine...Put it on your system and I'll share my email address with you so I get a report of everything you are doing and typing each hour....No Problem right?  I mean after all whats wrong with that?  McAFEE says its OK so it much be OK!

Yeah, Right....

*Rac rolls his eyes*

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 4 of 14

You probably got the definition of malware wrong. The same program can be used for monitoring your children. Now it becomes a legitimate usage. I personally don't feel that this is a high risk malware. I cannot have it installed on my computer, for a simple reason that McAfee Host Integrity will block from installing this in my corporate network. I depend on McAfee to prove better security solution to my customers.

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 5 of 14

No, I didn't get the def. wrong.

I have been a network engineer for 24 years.  The Definition is correct.  Wat you are speaking about is its "legitimate" usage.

A gun is dangerous as we all know in the hands of a criminal....However, Its the first thing I'm going to grab if attacked...Now all of a sudden its a Life saver. See?

My Point is....KEYLOGGERS are Dangerous if used incorrectly BUT how many "everyday" people understand this to the levels as you and I do?

Few, frankly.  So they depend on These anti-virus companies to protect their systems (as they advertise).  So what do they know?  They have McAfee and they think everyting is fine..Yet, something as blatant as a keylogger goes right by their protections..

If I would lend argument to your views on this then I would say Fine...Have McAfee show it as a BLACKLISTED Item or black and give the user the option to delete it or not but to "ASSUME" that just because it "can be" used as a monitoring tool and thus it goes by, is so ludicrous to me.  What if your 80 year old granny does not have any kids to monitor? Then what?

I mean for a company making great claims (as they all do) yet let something like this slip by is completely irresponsible....They (McAfee) are assuming a keey logger could be there with good intentions....Well, the road to Hevan is paved wit Good intentions too..

-Rac

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 6 of 14

Sir,

You are a Network Engineer since 24 years, and you know much better than me - the challenges that IT faces everyday, and I hope you will also know a way out to these challenges. It's very disappointing that you as a senior depreciating a technology that came from your ages. I am just a new baby in Security Engineering. Ideally, you will have to share your knowledge with us.

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 7 of 14

Hey Look Ghandi...I'mnot concerned about your "feelings", see?

I posted something about a Key logger....You responded with a lame answer...and I put the smack on that answer...(McAFEE doesn't think its a threat)

When your posts defend something thats fine but give a REAL REASON as to why...When you could not, I exposed the reasons why..The "Assumption" McAFEE has concerning a key logger and it "could be" used to monitor children so they (McAFEE) doesn't catch this file.

Thats So Stupid!  As far as your feelings go and you being "disappointed"...I don't know what to tell you..Go cry to your Mother....I'm not here to be "nice" or to be "mean"...I posted information...No one here has to pet you to make it ALL better just so you can understand...If you have a Girlfrend have her worry about your feelings pal..

Have a nice day

-Rac

SamSwift
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 8 of 14

Rac, please submit this file to us and we'll have research review it.

We have detected previous versions of this tool as a potentially unwanted program  - please see our virus information library for more information. 

Thanks,

Sam

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 9 of 14

Hi Sammy, Thanks for reading...Pardon my "directness" to lame answers...After all this is not "magic" it work or it don't...I beat on everyone...Nortons, Microsoft and anyone else who makes great and fantastic marketing "claims"...then their product fails to do as advertised.  Sort of a watch dog....I have BLACKBOX in my sights next for something eles.

Anyway, Onward!

Ok here's the test you can do for yourself or, come up with one of your own.  This is the steps I took.

1) Without any virus or malware on my system.  I downloaded REFOG Key logger...Get the 3 day trial, wroks fine if you like.

2) Set it up so that anything I did on my PC would be captured and sent via email to another address and sure enough..Every single thing was captured..Keystrokes, Screenshots, Documents you name it...It was all neatly sent to another email...

3) Knowing now I set up the keylogger correctly...I installed MALWARE BYTES...(Free version) and it found it.  As did, SPYBOT, PCTOOLS and WINDOWS Denfender also found it on a scan.  I allowed it to stay on my system (of course)...

4) I have Nortons 9 I think its 9.  Anyway, It too missed it but it did (during a scan) say if found a "suspicious file" however that was all it said...It didn't really know what to do with it.

5) I then loaded McAFEE which by the way does a HORRIBLE job of catching ANY malware..I mean even the old stuff.  Ok, So...I load up the latest version and run a scan - Nothing!...and I mean NOTHING....I know its the latest scan because I have a subscription and just downloaded it the other day..

OK...UNDER the above Condition, McAFEE did not find anything so I did another test this time loading Macfee first.....Then it did catch a registry change attempt. 

You can look for Refog on the net "KEYLOGGER" Google it...Should take you to their page and you can DL the free version...

I have to run...

Cheers!

-Rac...

PS: Let me know what you discover....I'm Running XP, SP3 and a host of other "protections".....

SamSwift
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 10 of 14

Hi Rac,

Our senior PUP researcher is investigating this. With potentially unwanted programs investigation does take longer than a malware sample due to the legal implications of licesning agreements etc, but as soon as he has completed his findings I will report back.

Kind regards,

Sam

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community