cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
xafxa
Level 7

RAPID MEDIA CONVERTER

Why won't McAfee quarantine or delete this popup malware???

0 Kudos
22 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Re: RAPID MEDIA CONVERTER

Maybe because it's a legitimate programme?  Their removal instructions are below.

Support

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Re: Re: RAPID MEDIA CONVERTER

Are you sure that's the actual name?

0 Kudos
xafxa
Level 7

Rapid Media Converter/Rapid Media Converter Browser.exe real names. I uninstalled 2 times thru control panel and kept coming back. Now it does not even show up in the programs list to select anymore! I delete the keys containing "rapidmedia" in the registry but there must be more names/keys etc. As soon as I open either my outlook mail or I.E. browser it pops up some add and down at the bottom it says Rapid Media Converter right on the popup. I read somewhere that it resides in the browser cache. How do I find it and eliminate it????

0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

You can go into Internet Explorer and click on 'Manage Add-Ons' and disable it. In addition, you may try this reputable Removal Guide:Remove Ads by Fast Media Converter virus (Removal Guide)

Also clear your Internet Explorer/Other Browsers Cache, as explained in that Removal Guide.

These two articles are most informative as to how this arrived on your system:

All the Best

Catdaddy

McAfee Community Moderator

Consumer Products

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

What browser are you using?

0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

I think it is Internet Explorer, but I could be mistaken?

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Which version though?  Details have been rather sparse thus far.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

OK Open IE and go to Tools/Internet Options/Advanced tab and click Reset.

It will give options, tell it to delete everything.  Click Apply, OK etc.

Close and reopen IE.

All it's cache should have been deleted by the system and you will then have to go into Tools/Manage Add-Ons to re-enable any add-ons you need.

You will have to re-log in to any websites as that stuff will have all been forgotten by the browser.

Also do a Disk Cleanup via Control Panel > System & Maintenance > Administrative Tools > Free Up Disk Space.

0 Kudos
xafxa
Level 7

I have run disk cleanup, including system files, since I have been dealing with this. I also ran CHKDSK from the CMD line. Nothing abnormal found and there's nothing in the bios says "sfc /scannow".

0 Kudos