cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Pup in temporary internet files

I've gotten the message about a pup in the temporary internet files & McAfee says it can't completely remove it. I manually did a search, found the file & removed it. I also cleared all temporary internet files from every folder I could find, along with all tmp files. I re-scanned & McAfee is still seeing the file. I did another file search & that file is not on my computer. So how do I keep from getting the same message over & over again???

The file is:
C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\LocalSettings\Temporary Internet Files\HACMB 1BS\upgrade[1].cab
1 Reply
Highlighted

RE: Pup in temporary internet files

C:\Documents and Settings\LocalService\LocalSettings...

The red part shows that the file is being downloaded by a program installed by a service on your computer. This could be something running as a System Service or something that has permission to install using a System service (like the Windows Installer).

A PUP is not a virus or trojan, but rather something suspicious that people may not want, but often comes with software that comes with your computer or with programs downloaded from the internet. Your options are to either remove the source downloading program or to trust the PUP.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community