cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cessery
Level 7

Problem with using Stinger on a Windows 7 Pro x64 desktop

I have had to use stinger on a number of machines recently ( XP, Vista & Win7 operating systems).  All my machines are running Total Protection 2013 licences, except for one running Win7Pro x64 . Stinger worked well on all but one machine, a lenovo Think Centre desktop running Win7Prox64, which still has Total Protection 2012 as I can't update it. I still have the problems of: scanning being switched off; false error message window at bottom right corner of screen and; no access to internet.  Stinger worked well for others, but just can't seem to clear this trojan from this one machine. Any suggestions?

Cheers

Charles

0 Kudos
7 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Re: Problem with using Stinger on a Windows 7 Pro x64 desktop

Stinger shouldn't have a problem with it but there are other things you could try.  Can you access the Internet on that machine in 'Safe Mode with Networking' ?  If so see the last link in my signature below.  Malwarebytes Free is good and can be downloaded, installed, updated and run all in that mode.   That may help.

The other thing to try is System Restore to before all this started.

0 Kudos
cessery
Level 7

Tried that, but it still won't allow me to access the network, despite the  fact that I know its connected.

Thanks anywaty it was worh a try.

Cheers

charles

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

In Safe Mode can you System Restore to before all this started?

0 Kudos
cessery
Level 7

Thanks, I'll try that. One query I have is that this machine was refurbished  and I am wondering if the image file used to install the operating system might have contained the virus. Is this an actual concern or just an urban mtyh? Anyway, thanks again and I will try the restore in safe/networking mode.

cheers

charles

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

I suppose it's a possibility albeit an unlikely one unless it was obtained from dubious sources.

The only was to check is to have a professional look at it.

0 Kudos
cessery
Level 7

Thanks, it was refurbished by lenovo in Sydney, so I assume it is ok.

Thanjks for the advice.

Cheers

charles

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

That sounds OK. 

0 Kudos