cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Potentially Unwanted Program Detected

I keep getting this message from McAfee program.

Name:  Artemis!350055FCDF14

Location: C:\Documents and Settings\Stephanie\Local Settings\Temp\00000824

I can't find this file in my computer.  I have no idea where any of this is.  When McAfee asks me if I want to remove it I say yes and then it tells me it can't remove it.  What's the point of telling me about it if it won't do anything about it? *sigh*

So what do I do about it besides get more and more irritated about it?  Thanks for any help.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Re: Potentially Unwanted Program Detected

If it's identified as a PUP then you could tell it to ignore the detection.   It's one of your temporary files so you could clear the temporary folders.

Go to Start/Run and enter %temp% and click Enter.

Highlight all entries using the Edit tab by clicking Select All and click  Shift/Delete (completely deletes bypassing the recycle bin)

Windows may object to removing some, this is normal, just remove as many as will go.

Repeat the operation using the word temp minus the %%.

Boot to Safe Mode by tapping F8 while booting up and go to My Computer (Computer in Vista/Windows 7) - right-click the hard drive and select Scan.  VirusScan will then scan the hard drive silently.  (Nothing will appear).

To get a progress report hover the cursor over the scan icon in the taskbar by the clock.  It'll take a while but it should be able to run right through without hesitation.

0 Kudos

Thank You.  This worked very well.  I appreciate it so much.

0 Kudos
x-vuskie
Level 7

Cool!  Thanks for letting us know it worked! 

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

BLUEJEANBABIE wrote:

Thank You.  This worked very well.  I appreciate it so much.

Glad to help.

0 Kudos