cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Treize
Level 7

'Possible False Positive - Artemis!6D6BEC35C4C5, Artemis!6D6BEC35C4C

Jump to solution

I'm not sure but I think McAfee has not only detected itself, but it disabled my protection

File Name: C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE\MSM\MCSMTTSK.DLL

It quarantied the file now McAfee says its disabled and I need to reinstall McAfee

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vinod_r2
Level 11

Re: 'Possible False Positive - Artemis!6D6BEC35C4C5, Artemis!6D6BEC35C4C

Jump to solution

This is not a trojan its a generic detecton (Detection occurs when the system uses a combination of clever heuristics and querying of McAfee's online database of known clean files ).. Due to the  the automated nature of this detection/technology and since its also based on heuristics ( behaviour) there are possiblities that a few files might be picked up incorrectly.In most cases these get corrected due to the way this system is designed. The system basically learns every minute as it sees new files and process across the globe on millions of machines.

Hence... there is no need to panic because of this detection ( I am referring to the DLL file under MSM folder). We have learned that the system has corrected itself and has included this particular file as  safe one.. which means.. next time the mcafee installation on your machine syncs with our online database it will get a reply that the file is clean ( note: the expected time for this is usually in minutes but is subject to yournetwork latency and geographical location)

You may simply update the McAfee reboot and scan again later to see if the detection is corrected.

if issue persists submit the sample and let us know

0 Kudos
37 Replies
dando
Level 7

Jump to solution

I am getting exactly the same thing, started last night. Same trojan code and has also disabled my McAfee Virus Software. (Running Windows 7) I'm totally confused and hoping someone can shed some light on the subject!!!

0 Kudos
aznativgal
Level 7

Jump to solution

Are you also experiencing random IE browser shutdowns?

0 Kudos
vinod_r2
Level 11

Jump to solution

This issue must be resolved by now. As you are all aware Artemis is a  real time technolgy and the issue got rectified when multiple hits were  seen on a single file.

0 Kudos
ms1541
Level 7

Jump to solution

I have been having the same problem, in fact I just posted about this elsewhere on here before I found this. My IE shuts down if I'm running a Full Scan and it detects the 'trojan'. I've done another Full Scan this morning and it is till being detected, so I guess it has not been addressed.

After the Full Scan it says Computer & Files etc all need attention. I press 'update' and everything suddenly becomes 'protected' again.

I'm none the wiser. Anyone else have an idea?

0 Kudos
vinod_r2
Level 11

Jump to solution

OK...

If the issue is not resolved for you yet perform these steps. Restart the computer and then right click on the M icon and select Update and allow the update to install. Once you have done with the updates go ahead scan the c: program files > mcafee folder and see if it detects the same file.

Note: Artemis is a real time technology and many times the detection delay is merely minutes however based on your Geo and network latency etc.. it might get delayed by some time ( not really seen thia taking more than an hour)

0 Kudos
bobbyklump
Level 7

Jump to solution

i did a full scan this morning and mcfee has detected and quarantined Artemis!6d6bec35c4c5 (trojan)

then  a box said my computer is NOT protected press 'fix'

i press 'fix' and a box said it has one or more problems.

i tried a several more times and eventually mcfee protection was 'on'

i am using a lenovo g550 laptop windows 7

do i have a problem with this quatrantined file Artemis!6d6bec35c4c5?

HOW do i remove this Artemis!6d6bec35c4c5?

please help

Thank you

0 Kudos
vinod_r2
Level 11

Jump to solution

Like I indicated earlier.. There might be a small delay in this detection to be seen based on your network or location... However having said that could you please try the following now and confirm if issue persists?

Reboot the machine.

Right click on M icon and update McAfee.

Once it confirms that Updates are installed run a scan.

let me know the status.

regards

Vinod

0 Kudos
bobbyklump
Level 7

Jump to solution

i restarted my computer

went to 'M icon

I just did a scan on 'C' files

after the scan finsished a box appears and i was then given a choice to 'remove' this trojan

i simply clicked the box and it has been removed

WOW it has been removed

i will do another scan tonight  - a FULL scan and make sure /see if it has fully gone

(p.s - i also sent the trojan name to mcfee centre)

Message was edited by: bobbyklump on 01/07/10 06:31:37 CDT
0 Kudos
joma
Level 7

Jump to solution

I also got hit by this issue this morning after my nightly scan.  I ended up following the instructions to uninstall McAfee SecurityCenter and reinstall.

At least I now have a slick new looking SecurityCenter GUI and a shield M in the taskbar instead of the block M.

Otherwise, I think McAfee needs to find out why their virus definitions got corrupted enough to detect one of their own dlls.

Message was edited by: joma on 7/1/10 7:42:59 PM CDT
0 Kudos