Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cafe23
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 6

Please help - virus not going away!

I somehow downloaded a virus yesterday. I started to get rerouted to different websites whenever I clicked on a website from a search engine. Then, it sent emails to people in my Facebook account with questionable links.

I ran a full scan and Mcafee said it quarantined and removed Artemis and Koobface. I went in myself and removed a questionable looking "Acitve X control" from my programs.

The problem is that I am still being rerouted. When I click on a website from Google or other search engines, it goes to "window stop content" and then another website comes up that I didn't ask for.

Can someone please help?

Thanks in advance.
Labels (1)
5 Replies

RE: Please help - virus not going away!

Please start by scanning your computer with the following two programs.

ESET Online Scanner
MalwareBytes

Post any results of these scans. After both scans and rebooting, do you still have the issue? If yes, post back and I will provide 2 other scanners that can detect unknown viruses.
Cafe23
Level 7
Message 3 of 6

Downloaded the ESET

Thanks, I was able to download the first one. It took a few hours but it did identify and erase Trojanproxy.small.NDYtrojan and also Tinxy.AFtrojan.
I was not able to download the second one. The first time I tried to download it, I was redirected to something called Geek I think. The second time, my computer kept giving me warnings about the download and I got scared off.

However, the problem does seem to be fixed after the first download. Thank you very much for this advice!

RE: Downloaded the ESET

I'm glad it was able to help you... However, you should be careful that the problem left behind system changes that are not good for your computer.

Below is a direct link to download MalwareBytes. I strongly recommend you scan and remove any items it finds.

http://files1.majorgeeks.com/files/cf2f3fe19ffba462831d7f037a07fc83/spyware/mbam-setup.exe
Cafe23
Level 7
Message 5 of 6

Downloaded Malware Successfully

Thank you so much. I was able to download the Malware Antiivirus. I am a little worried because It did identify Koobface, Artemis and Trojan. Does that mean that they were still in my computer? I really thought they were gone.

I do have one more question if you don't mind. While I had the virus, I panicked and went in to Add/Delete Programs and deleted anything that looked unfamiliar to me. Afterwards, I lost the sound on my computer and I'm sure I must have deleted something related to the sound. I am thinking about doing a system restore to the day before the virus. If so, should I then re download the ESET and Malware when I am done? Thanks so much!

RE: Downloaded Malware Successfully

Be sure to call it "MalwareBytes"!

MalwareBytes may detect some parts of the viruses that are no longer active on your computer (like registry entries). In order for a virus to be active on your system, it must have a set of instructions to follow. Generally these instructions are in files on your Hard Drive. Even if there are left over parts, as long as the main instructions are gone, the virus can not harm your computer.

If your sound is missing, you probably just need to reinstall your sound drivers. You can probably find these at your computer manufacturer's support web site.

If you decide to use System Restore to a point before the virus, you should be fine. However, this is assuming you really are restoring to a point before the virus was active. it's a good safety precaution to still double check your system using an up-to-date AV and AntiSpyware application.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community