Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
beth82
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 11

Please Help

Something is very wrong with my computer. Firefox no longer opens; Internet Explorer works, but extremely slowly. Ctrl-alt-del doesn't work anymore; it only gives me a message saying Task Manager has been disabled by the administrator. I keep getting popup ads, all the time. I also get messages saying that automatic Windows updates have been turned off, and when I try to change that, it doesn't work. Also, my desktop says "warning: spyware threat has been detected on your PC" and has a link telling me to click it to scan for spyware.

All of this started very suddenly on Saturday evening. I have tried downloading anti-spyware programs, but it didn't work - the downloads were too slow and timed out.
Yesterday I bought McAfee and installed it, hoping that would take care of it - it didn't. It claims to have removed a lot of things, but everything is the same as before. And, I can't update McAfee because it says there is no internet connection.

Please tell me what I should try next.
Labels (1)
10 Replies
melboy
Level 7
Message 2 of 11

RE: Please Help

Beth, Do you have access to another (uninfected) computer? If so download MBAM (malwarebytes Anti-malware) to a flash stick or CD R/W and then transfer it to your infected computer and try to run the set-up file then.

http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/malwarebytes/mbam-setup.exe

http://www.besttechie.net/tools/mbam-setup.exe

connect to the internet.

When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
Then click Finish. MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program
before performing a scan. If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself.
Press the OK button to close that box and continue.

If you cant do the above ,try the following anyway, the database might be sufficient.

On the Scanner tab:
Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected. Then click on the Scan button.
The next screen will ask you to select the drives to scan. Leave all the drives selected
and click on the Start Scan button. The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the
top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient. When the scan is finished, a message
box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process. Back at the main Scanner
screen, click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found. Make sure
that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected. When removal is completed, a log report
will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to restart your computer. (see Note below) The log
is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.

If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts.
Click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process.
If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately.
Failure to reboot will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.
beth82
Level 7
Message 3 of 11

Thank you. I just tried what you suggested, but I can't get it to work. I can neither download MBAM onto my computer, nor transfer it (I downloaded it on my mom's computer and put the set-up file onto mine, but nothing happened when I clicked it).

For some reason, I can't even get to this forum on my computer.

On your mothers computer rename MBAM.exe to beth.exe, then upload to infected computer, install and run the updater, boot into safe mode and run a full scan.
beth82
Level 7
Message 5 of 11

OK, I did this and was able to install it, although it couldn't update.
I am running the scan now.

Edit: I think it worked. Most of the problems are gone, I can use the internet again, etc. Only, I am still getting a few popups.

Thanks so much for all the help!
melboy
Level 7
Message 6 of 11

Have you tried updating now you've more functionallity? if not, do that and run a full scan. Now your able, run the scan in normal mode. (although in some instances you may have to use safe mode it does work best in normal mode)
MBAM can update a few times a day so it may now catch something more.
beth82
Level 7
Message 7 of 11

Yes, I did that last night. After the update and full scan, everything is back to normal. Thanks!

Glad to hear things have improved, can you run an online scan Here just to be sure nothing is lurking, save the report and post it here.
beth82
Level 7
Message 9 of 11

OK, the online scan has just finished. It found nothing. I would have saved the report, but it was empty - nothing to post.

Ok, that is fine. Read this article PC Safety and Security--What Do I Need?
to prevent further infections in the future, other than that, your good to go.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community