cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please Help! Trojan and/or Virus: false ActiveX

A few days ago I unknowingly downloaded a false version of ActiveX and now I have a Virus. There are many things that aren't normal with my computer and I don't know what's going on.

My homepage has changed. There is a flashing yellow icon on my toolbar and it keeps giving me pop-ups about security warnings and security alerts. The alerts say that I have been infected with new variants of Spybot@mxt and Networm-i.Virus@fp and they need to be deleted immediately. It tells me I need to download the appropriate anitvirus software in the forms of: WinSecure Antivirus, Virus Ranger, Win PC Doctor, WinSpy Control, Antispyware Gold, etc... More popups say my privacy is being threatened and that I am being tracked. It has my IP address on it, my connection, my country location, my internet service provider, etc, and I need to download WinAnonymous to get rid of it. I don't trust any of these programs as I know they are not legit.

There was also something with Win32/W32 and another popup about spyware.cyberlog-x. Also, there are two new icons on my desktop that I did not put there. One is a blue shield with an exclamation point in it and it is Online Security Guide, the other is a green shield with a checkmark in it that says Security Troubleshooting.

I have a 3 year subscription to McAfee Security Center that I got with my new laptop. I have tried multiple virus scans, I thought maybe defraging my laptop would help, I've run Windows Defender, and I have tried QuickClean (since my virus it has not finished a quickclean scan yet). I consider myself somewhat computer illiterate but any help would be great.

I have: McAfee Security Center Version 7.2 and McAfee Virus Scan Version 11.2

I don't know if Service pack and system type are close to the same thing, But I am running Windows Vista Home Premium on a 32-bit operating system.

Thanks for your help!
2 Replies
Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 3

RE: Please Help! Trojan and/or Virus: false ActiveX

Thanks for all the information. No matter how good a protection software suite is it cannot defend against everything unfortunately.

Try these tools:

http://siri.urz.free.fr/Fix/SmitfraudFix_En.php

http://www.superantispyware.com/superantispywarefreevspro.html

RE: Please Help! Trojan and/or Virus: false ActiveX

Thanks. I will try those and see how it works out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community