cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rktman
Level 7

Out of options on Search re-direct problem. Help?

I renewed my Security Center subscription a few weeks ago and since then I've been hit with some really nasty viruses.  I picked up a Fake Alert virus that I was able to knock out with Stinger.  Security Center did not protect my computer from this virus.

More troubling is a search engine re-direct virus that I can't get rid of.  I've done numerous full McAfee scans with system restore off.  I've also done several stinger scans with system restore off--including setting the preferences to repoprt only on the very high level..  I've scanned with Spybot Seach & Destroy, Malware Bytes and Housecall but nothing works.  I still have the problem.  All of these scans say there is no problem.

I picked this re-direct virus up while using the McAfee safe search tool bar--it didn't protect me.

I'm getting pretty fed up with McAfee and am thinking of cancelling within my 30 day window.  I've noticed that there are a number of posts in the community (some from quite awhile ago) mentioning how McAfee is just not picking up or protecting users from certain viruses.

Anyway, if anyone has any ideas on how I can beat this re-direct virus I would greatly appreciate any help.  I'm basically a beginner, so some of the really technical talk here leaves me in the dust.

Thanks for any help.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Re: Out of options on Search re-direct problem. Help?

This probably a new 1 vis the other scanners fail as well.

Try the following

Clean up windows temp and internet temp folders.

then

- Join the McAfee Getsusp group at https://community.mcafee.com/groups/getsusp30-beta-feedback

You will have to ask there for Getsusp, which is a Beta program and not yet on general release.

Before you use Getsusp, you should go to this document

https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-1323

and download the PDF file explaining what Getsusp is and how it works, and this document

https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-1761

which downloads the installation guide PDF document.

The techs there assist you and anything unknown is sent to Mcafee that way mcafee gets fast updates on new malware and you get a fix.

Build 126 latest

I had a redirect on my son in law's PC it was fixed by Malwarebytes but This 1 seems recent.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 31/01/11 7:09:30 PM
0 Kudos
rktman
Level 7

Peacekeeper,

Thanks for the info.

I have to say I'm uncomfortable running a beta product.  When I call MAfee and get phone support they suggest stinger (which I've tried multiple times) and then they try to push the virus removal service which costs almost 90 bucks.

Don't see why I should pay for the removal service after my paid for McAfee products didn't catch or prevent this virus and can't seem to remove it.

Rocket

0 Kudos
DoZe
Level 9

Run a online scan with Nod 32 and F-secure , if they don't find anything try Superantispyware.

Cheers

0 Kudos
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Getsusp been evolving for months I use it it is very easy to use and safe.

By the time we argue back and forth 1 of the above scanners will have been updated to find the nasty by then.

0 Kudos