cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Not detecting 'koobface'

Two days in a row I've picked up 'koobface' from www.systemthree.com with my system. A couple times McAfee has "noticed" activity and asked me to prevent or permit the activity. After preventing it the machine still manages to pickup the infection. I just talked to tech-support over IM and they're not able to even escalate a support request because my system is up to date and wants me to contact the paid virus removal group.

DAT version is 5651.0000, Version is 13.3

I've been able to detect/remove the virus installation with Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware tool and remove the virus installation by rolling back Windows (XP). Can somebody take a look at this website and fix your virus detection?
1 Reply
Highlighted

RE: Not detecting 'koobface'

Koobface is contracted through Facebook and/or MySpace and I see nothing wrong with that particular webpage.

It's been on the books for a while here: http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_148955.htm

Note under the Removal Tab Additional instructions for ME/XP users.

If it's reappearing it may be trapped in your restore points which are protected from virus scanners by Windows, therefore temporarily disable System Restore and it should be gone.

By the way, using System Restore tends to cause errors in McAfee Security Center so I suggest updating manually immediately afterwards.

If, somehow, it is coming from somewhere on that website I suggest you contact the owner a.s.a.p. as it appears to be a good website. I have quickly gone through most of the links thereon and not found anything untoward myself.

Lastly, make sure that your XP is totally up to date with both critical and non-critical updates using Microsoft Update.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community