cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
danyael
Level 7

Nook Hd+, nook demo malware?

Hello,

All of the sudden mcafee is showing nook demo as malware on my nook. From what I can find on the net nook demo is part of the nook os is not malware and cannot be uninstalled. Mcaffe flagging this as malware seems to be a problem that goes back for years from what I have read. So what the hell? Is it malware or not? If it is a false positive, is this something that mcafee will look into because I have no desire to have a malware warning pop up everytime I run a scan if what is being flagged is not actually malware. If this problem persists I will be deleteing the mcafee app and I will not be renew my subscription.

-d

0 Kudos
9 Replies
catdaddy
Level 20

Re: Nook Hd+, nook demo malware?

If you feel that this a Legitimate program, please follow the Guidelines/Instructions in the following Links:

Consumer

Corporate

Detection Dispute Submission | McAfee Labs

Please allow (4-5) business days for your submission to be Analyzed/Processed. After that period of time ,if your issue has not been resolved, Kindly post back the Anaylysis ID # ,which you should have received after successful submission.

We can quite possibly contact a McAfee Labs Tech to expedite the process.

Kindest Regards,

Catdaddy

McAfee Moderator 1

Consumer Products

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos
danyael
Level 7

That link says that it applies to windows systems and not mac or mobile. It is a nook, thus, mobile.

0 Kudos
danyael
Level 7

Now when I run a scan it initially say threat detected but switches to no threats found at the end of the scan???

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

This has come up time and time again over the last couple of years and not just with McAfee.  Is there an option to ignore the detection?

If not then I would contact Technical Support.  Link below.

Toronto ▪ Canada
Volunteer Moderator - Consumer Products
I CAN'T HELP PRIVATELY - PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS
Use Advanced Search To Find Answers

Consumer Technical Support (alter Country @ top right as needed)

Consumer Customer Service (Accounts, Billing, Registration, etc.)
Anti-Spyware/Malware/Hijacker Removal Tools

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

You could also email virus_research@mcafee.com with the header False xxxxxxx (whatever the detection name is) and in the body text tell them it's Nook Demo and what device and McAfee software version you are using.

0 Kudos
Hayton
Level 18

This came up a year ago - quite a long thread - and Vinoo was brought in to try and sort it out. I got the impression that as this is an Artemis cloud-based detection it's not so easy to whitelist the Nook demo, although they seemed to manage it over at Webroot.

You can't quarantine or delete Nook Demo, it's an integral part of the OS. The only way to get round this is to keep whitelisting it every time a fresh alert gets triggered, which is a bummer. I would have thought the Labs could have found some sort of workaround or even a permanent cure, but if the Nook is an ultra-niche market (and I think it probably is) then I guess it's a low priority.

One thing : I was quite surprised not to find anything about this on the Barnes & Noble site, where there is an extensive HD+ FAQ page. Nothing there about Demo being detected as a Trojan by antivirus programs.

More info :

Suspected false positive for Nook Demo - Webroot Community

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/Support-nook-hd-plus/379003760

0 Kudos
McAfee Employee

Hi Hayton,

Will you please check the McAfee app on your NOOK to see what version it is, and also look for an upgrade of it if you can, After you done that, let me know what do you see. I will help you to the best I can. Reply to me with following information, 1. McAfee app version, 2., upgrade exist or not? 3. Is that possible for us to find the source of OS demo in case we do need run test?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Hayton
Level 18

:

I'm not the one with the Nook, I just summarised the issue and raised it on the conference call. The OP is

If you want to send a PM to you may need to have a two-way Follow. Depends what your board permissions are set to.

0 Kudos
McAfee Employee

Thanks for clarify. I have notified the issue to McAfee malware research team, they will work with BN's NOOK support to resolve the issue.

0 Kudos