cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rvlieburg
Level 7

New version of Stinger starts on Hirens with a blank screen.

Hello People,

I have been running Stinger without problems for the last year on a bootable USB stick with Hirens 15.x. 

Since the new Stinger has arrived there were some problems.

The tool did first start up with the following error:

"This application has failed tot start because gdiplus.dll was not found................................"

After I copied gdiplus.dll (v5.2.3790.1830) the tool first seemed to start up fine with  "Initializing Engine" but after that a blank windows with no visible content and only Stinger in the caption appeared.

Has anybody a suggestion what might the solution for this problem ? 

Thanks in advance for the golden tip.

0 Kudos
36 Replies
nehalreads
Level 10

Re: New version of Stinger starts on Hirens with a blank screen.

Hi rvlieburg,

Try to recreate the bootable USB with a new version of stinger and then try to run it again.

Let me know the outcome.

0 Kudos
karthiks
Level 12

Rvlieburg,

Try Nehal’s suggestion if it doesn’t work please answer me the following

Where did you copied the dll file ? what is the location?

What is the type of Operating system ? What is the service pack ?

0 Kudos
thom
Level 7

Hello

I have a similar problem although i am not using Hirens (whatever that is).

I am running W98SE with the unofficial service pack 2.1a, and KernelEX 4.5.2 in Win2000 Sp4 mode.

I ran stinger successfully on the 15th of March, but since then it will not start and i get the message - "A required .dll file, GDIPLUS.DLL, was not found".

Where can i find this file, and where do i put it?

Thom

Message was edited by: thom on 22/03/13 12:34:23 CDT
0 Kudos
nehalreads
Level 10

Hi thom,

According to the minimum and recommended system requirements, the new stinger is not compatible with the Windows 98 or Windows 2000. I would recommend you to try running the new stinger with the windows operating system which starts from Windows XP. 

Note – If you’re running stinger in windows XP or newer OS, try with the genuine windows service pack.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Win 98 and Win 2K are not supported by McAfee Security, Consumer or Enterprise software any more.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 23/03/13 10:16:03 EDT AM
0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Moved to the general Security Awareness area as more appropriate.

0 Kudos
thom
Level 7

Hello

I have 4 versions of stinger. The one dated 12/03/13 ,build No 10.2.0.1916, i have just run successfully in W95, 98se, NT4 sp6, Me, XP SP2, and W2003 Sp1 compatibility mode.

The other versions ,dated  15th, 21st and 23/03/13 will not start and give the error - GDIPLUS.dll was not found.

If you could tell me which version of this GDIPLUS.dll file stinger is looking for and where it expects to find it i might be able to use these and future stingers.

Thanks

Thom

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Nehal can you answer that?

0 Kudos
nehalreads
Level 10

Hi thom,

It was really a  tricky doubt

A compatibility mode is a software mechanism in which a software emulates an older version of software in order to allow obsolete software or files to remain compatible with the computer's newer hardware or software. Examples of the software using the mode are operating systems and Internet Explorer. But , still the stinger is not compatible with the Windows 98 or Windows 2000. But , i can provide you a stinger were you can run in your Windows 98 or Windows 2000 . Please use the below URL :

http://www.mcafee.com/us/downloads/free-tools/how-to-use-stinger.aspx

Let me know the outcome.

Message was edited by: nehalreads on 3/23/13 1:16:46 PM CDT
0 Kudos