cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

?? New Virus Tuesday Feb 2, 2010 ??

Hello All,

Today we had about 50 users call the helpdesk about emails from Google, Hallmark, etc with a zip file attachment asking them to open the attachment.  I contacted 3 of our other locations which are located in other states and it seems they are getting the same emails.  Does anyone know anything about this ?

What does it do if they open it.  (We had users open it)

How do you remove from their computer ?

All systems running VirusScan Enterprise 8.5.0i

DAT 5879.00

Thank you,

Bill

6 Replies
D-Fens
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 7

Re: ?? New Virus Tuesday Feb 2, 2010 ??

hi,

if it's not recognized by mcafee, please submit it to mcafee via www.webimmune.net so that it can be analyzed.

maybe you can get more infos when you submit the sample to www.virustotal.com and google these names.

McAfee Employee dmeier
McAfee Employee
Message 3 of 7

Hey Bill, I agree with D-Fens, you'll want to submit the message to McAfee Labs, to confirm detection.  If it's malware, then you can worry about how to remove it.  Are you seeing any symptoms on those systems on which it was opened?

I have sent the virus to mcafee and they have passed this up the ladder.  Now waiting on a new DAT because dat 5880 will not find it.  But they sent me a superDAT and it found it. So they claim I will have the superdat that will remove it before 8:00 P.M.

Highlighted
Grif
Level 10
Message 5 of 7

Do they have a name for the virus yet? What was the text of the virus and did the attachment have a specific name in all cases?

It would be nice to know what to look for here..

Thanks.

Grif

They have sent our EPO server a new DAT which they will include in a release of the next dats.

Here is information on what to be on the look out for.

Marking as 'assumed answered' due to age of thread. If you need any further assistance please don't hesitate to let us know.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community