Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cativo
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 11

New Trojan???

Hi all,

My wife was surfing the net and tried to launch a video when she was prompted to download a codec to view this video, so she did (darn it!), then a pop up box came up saying that our system is infected with a Trojan.Win32.obfuscated.gx and I need to download a spyware to fix it. Well I dont want to load something I dont know about, but now everytime I open IE I get this same pop-up box. My McAfee doesnt see anything, and Adware doesnt see anything either. Is this a new virus or something?

I am running Xpnull Home edition, and McAfee 8.0 Security Suite on my laptop.

I notice a write up in the "new virus report", but how do I get rid of this?

Thanks for your help ahead of time!
10 Replies

RE: New Trojan???

Cativo

Send the file to the lab,if known.
http://vil.nai.com/vil/submit-sample.aspx
Or
https://www.webimmune.net/default.asp

What operating system/service pack do you have,click start>right click my computer>click on properties>general tab.

What Mcafee products/versions are installed,right click M icon>scroll to each product>click on about>Dat/Engine/Build>or double -click M icon if new version>click on view details

Save SmitFraudFix (by S!Ri) to your desktop.

Install this programme >>Here<< update its definitions.

Once updated click on the Scanner Tab>then Settings>click on Recommended Action and set it to Quarantine>then boot into Safe Mode.

Start tapping F8 when system starts>select Safe Mode from options.Log into your normal account(username).

In safe mode double click on SmitFraud and select option 2,after running Smitfraud run AVG(complete system scan),when AVG has finished scanning remember to click on Apply All Actions if anything is found,then boot back into normal mode
Cativo
Level 7
Message 3 of 11

My information

So, I am actually using XP professional version 2002, with service pak 2.

McAfee 7.2, build 7.2.147.

I hope that helps. Everytime I make a move on IE, it pops up.

Thanks...

I will try what you suggested. Does the information I gave here change anything?

Hi Cativo...

Let me know how you get on with this, because I have exactly the same in Vista...

I managed to find a file called FixIE, ran it, it cut off my wireless access ??, I rebooted, and I think it has dissapeared...
Cativo
Level 7
Message 5 of 11

No progress yet

Well, I tried what Paullotion suggested, but when I went back into Internet Exlorer the same pop up box came up. Then everytime you click on something else, tha page comes up, but this box pops up ontop of the new page. So you have to hit cancel to get rid of it.

Very frustrating.

If I do a restore to an earlier date, do you think that will get rid of this problem? Or, is it engrained into my sysetem now?

try the advice here..

I just did the second part...the FIX-IE..
@

http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=14559
Cativo
Level 7
Message 7 of 11

Cool

Sweet, that looks promising. Since that is the exact screen I see on my PC when I try to surf.

I will try it tonight and report back my success/failures.

Awesome...

RE: Cool

Try these instructions below as well,remember a lack of symptoms does not mean the infection is gone.

Register at this Forum then follow these Steps post the required log in that forum,not here.

Spyware

Hi:
I'm having some issues with spyware, my son downloaded a video and after that I started to be redirected to several web pages, and tons of annoying pop ups started to appear.
McAffe didn't detect anything but PC doctor identifies it as Actual Names_Search Pike, tried to clean it but still there, any idea of how can I delete this spyware.
Im using XP Pro service pack 2
McAfee Security Center version 8
McAfee Virus scan version 12
McAfee Firewall version 9.0
Att Dsl
Cativo
Level 7
Message 10 of 11

Looks to be gone

Cassie,

It looks to have solved my proble (IE fix), but I will still try paullotion's suggestion to be safe, but for now the pop up is gone.

Whew!!!

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community