cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
echoeranch
Level 7

Net Guard Blocking Chinese IP prevents net access

I'm in Texas and I use AryMesh router to connect to HughesNet but I've started having problems connecting to the net when I turn Net Guard on.  Net Guard reports it blocks IP 101.253.170.1 and when it does that I can't connect.  When I unblock the IP the connection completes.   I checked the IP address and it shows it's in China!  Anyone have thoughts on this question?

Thankful for any help.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Re: Net Guard Blocking Chinese IP prevents net access

No wonder Netguard is blocking it.  It looks like someone in China is phishing or trying to hijack your machine.

I would boot into Safe Mode with Networking and download/update and run Malwarebytes Free just in case.

Instructions how are in the last link below.   I would also call your ISP and ask them for any ideas they may have.

Toronto ▪ Canada
Volunteer Moderator - Consumer Products
I CAN'T HELP PRIVATELY - PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS
Use Advanced Search To Find Answers

Consumer Technical Support (alter Country @ top right as needed)

Consumer Customer Service (Accounts, Billing, Registration, etc.)
Anti-Spyware/Malware/Hijacker Tools

exbrit
Level 21

Moved to Malware Discussion > Home User Assistance.

0 Kudos
Hayton
Level 17

Looks like a problem with DNS hijacking, possibly on the router. Is that make "Arymesh" or "Ayrmesh"? It's possible the router comes from an OEM and was rebranded, but what's important is who wrote the firmware that runs on the router. In many recent cases the supplier of the firmware on affected routers was one particular Chinese company, Shenzhen Gongjin Electronics. That might be the case here, although you'd need to dig quite deep to find out.

Read these for advice on checking DNS settings

At least 700K routers given to customers by ISPs can be hacked | Computerworld

Hackers hijack 300,000-plus wireless routers, make malicious changes | Ars Technica

New Router Attack Displays Fake Warning Messages | Security Intelligence Blog | Trend Micro

Alternatively HughesNet may have a problem with their satellite comms, although there's nothing about this on their user forums.

The IP address is China Science and Technology Network in Beijing, and I see no reason why you should be connecting to that network. Assume hijacking, especially as the IP reputation for email and network is Red on TrustedSource.

101.253.170.1 - IP - McAfee Labs Threat Center

http://cqcounter.com/rbl_check/?query=101.253.170.1

echoeranch
Level 7

Thanks for replying.  I've had the Arymesh router for several years and if I've had the problem all this time I was unaware of it.  I think this is a new problem because I found it because I was beging to have troubles connecting to the Net.  I'm going to try the things you suggested.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
echoeranch
Level 7

Thanks for the suggestions.  I'm working at it.

Thanks

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

You may need to reset to default your router/modem then rebuild whatever settings you had and make sure your encryption is strong if a WAN is used (wireless).   Plus your Windows Internet Connection may need to be completely reset.

Your ISP may be able to help with the former, with Windows if you can indicate what system and service pack, if applicable, this is, I will try to locate a tutorial for that.

By the way, do you allow other people to use this machine?

0 Kudos