cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help removing a virus/malaware

My computer is infected with this virus/malaware "Artemis!9BFD41D8049A" that i cannot get McAfee nor Malawarebytes nor Super antispyware to delete/remove it. I will appreciate it if someone could help me with a way around it. Thanks for your help in advance.

0 Kudos
15 Replies
ConorD62
Level 12

Re: Need help removing a virus/malaware

Hi Ras Delchimski,

Could you provide some more information such as:

• What Operating System do you use?
  • Do you know how to disable system restore?
  • Do you know how to get into Safe Mode?

Thanks.

0 Kudos

The operating system is window 7 home edition

. I can figure out how to get into the safe mode but i am not sure about the system restore thing??

thanks,

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Discussion moved from Home User Assistance to Artemis Discussion for better attention.

0 Kudos
sameer172006
Level 12

rasdelchimski wrote:

The operating system is window 7 home edition

. I can figure out how to get into the safe mode but i am not sure about the system restore thing??

thanks,

Hi,

Please boot into " Safe mode with networking". Once your computer is up and running, Please Right click on on the My Computer icon on the desktop and then click Properties.

available drives. Select Local Disk C and click Configure. You will get a new window, Please chose, " Turn off System Restore".

Now, you are ready to run a scan with Malwarebytes. I hope this resolves the issue.

Sameer

0 Kudos

I tried the above suggestion but looks like, that is not helping.....I am not sure if its because the operating system is windows 7 home edition??? Please if any one has any more suggestions, i will greatly appreciate them. Thanks,

0 Kudos
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Probably the virus is new you can try below program getsusp which is in is beta but what it finds it sends off to mcafee and also the tech in that group can assist in a manual fix.

BTW where is the file that the virus is found on ie the path?

- Join the McAfee Getsusp group at https://community.mcafee.com/groups/getsusp30-beta-feedback

You will have to ask there for Getsusp, which is a Beta program and not yet on general release.

Before you use Getsusp, you should go to this document

https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-1323

and download the PDF file explaining what Getsusp is and how it works, and this document

https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-1761

which downloads the installation guide PDF document.

If you want a second opinion, or to be on the safe side, then you can do a scan with the free versions of these tools :

Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware

Ok you used MWB but worth a redo as might have had its detection updated

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 10/02/11 7:00:50 AM
0 Kudos

ok tony, will try that one out as well.....thanks,

0 Kudos
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Control panel /system /system protection  change settings there.

Actually if you have system restore on why cannot you restore to before that point when the virus arrived? Maybe sameer can answer that?

Also can you post the path please to the file?

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 9/02/11 3:18:14 PM
0 Kudos
sameer172006
Level 12

Peacekeeper wrote:

Control panel /system /system protection  change settings there.

Actually if you have system restore on why cannot you restore to before that point when the virus arrived? Maybe sameer can answer that?

Also can you post the path please to the file?

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 9/02/11 3:18:14 PM

Hi ras delchimski,

The way to reach System Restore works perfectly fine in the all versions of Windows. But if you were not able to reach it, then as Tony wrote, Please follow the path through Control Panel.

Regarding the System Restore, I wanted to turn off the System Restore so as to prevent the malware from backing itself up in the restore memory. If we turn off the System restore, the maware will be removed completely and thus no remnants will be there.

Once the removal is finished, it is safe and advisable to turn the Systm Restore " ON".

Thank you

Sameer

0 Kudos