cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Need help removing a virus/malware

The fastest way to turn off (or on) System Restore is to right-click 'Computer' on your dektop or in the Start/All Programs menu and select Properties, then select System Protection over at the left, OK-ing any prompts.

That will bring up your drive(s) and the System Restore status which you can then change,  Don't forget to click Apply.

That works in Windows 7 or Vista.

Re: Need help removing a virus/malaware

Hi all,

McAfee reports this file as affected:

C:\windows\Temp\TemporaryInternetFiles\Content.IE5\H26SX2MQ\Upgrade[1].cab

and the malaware is Artemis!9BFD41D8049A.

I tried restoring it to the very earliest restore point but as sameer said, i believe it did back it self up or something like that and so i still found it over there.......

Thanks,

Delete the restore points and delete all internet temp files.

rasdelchimski wrote:

Hi all,

McAfee reports this file as affected:

C:\windows\Temp\TemporaryInternetFiles\Content.IE5\H26SX2MQ\Upgrade[1].cab

and the malaware is Artemis!9BFD41D8049A.

I tried restoring it to the very earliest restore point but as sameer said, i believe it did back it self up or something like that and so i still found it over there.......

Thanks,

Hi,

Please turn off the System restore and delete all restore points. Once the malware is booted out, we can turn on the System Restore.

Sameer

Sameer, I was not able to turn the system restore off following your instructions. I guess it is a little different in windows 7 home edition, because i tried it at the office which is on windows xp and i was able to get to the system restore thing but NOT with the windows 7 home edition.

Can you help with this? The windows help and support pop up did not help. Thanks in advance.

DoZe
Level 9
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 16 of 16

You can delete the infected file using FileAssassin

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community