Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ayemac
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 9

Need Assistance in Cleaning PC

I can be wordy, so I'll keep this short on purpose. Please let me know if there are specifics that I need to put in this thread.

Long story short, my PC has something - malware, a virus, something. In my experience with others, a clean install/rebuild is about the only clear solution. I'd rather avoid that due to the Windows 10 install no longer being free.

I have McAfee Multi Access Total Protection (PC) that is free from Cox's Security Suite. Not only did it not prevent the issue from loading, a full scan still shows that there are no issues. I also grabbed Malwarebytes and it, too, states no issues. Both are fully up to date, so this is the most perplexing thing to me.

However, if I open IE11, the main page is hijacked. It seemingly changes just about every time. MS Edge seems to be functioning normally (meaning I can navigate to other sites and the homepage is not hijacked), but IE is the issue.

The initial site seems to be web-start.org, but the random pages it reroutes me to can be (but not limited to) the following:

* support.techonline.com-security.site

* www.uber.com

* smartnewtab.com

* satisfaction-surveys.org

* ridmiffed.xyz (this site prompts for a Flash Player Update, but it's clearly not from Adobe.)

Now interestingly enough, about 1 out of 5 attempts to open IE will prompt me with McAfee's "Whoa! Are you sure you want to go there?" It's their www.siteadvisor.com site. The latest one it recognized was web-start.org, however it doesn't ALWAYS prompt.

Clearly there's an issue. I'd rather not rebuild for a number of reasons. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

8 Replies
Reliable Contributor catdaddy
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 9

Re: Need Assistance in Cleaning PC

​,

Please follow the guidelines/Instructions in this reliable Removal Guide:https://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-web-start-org/

Kindly let us know if this helps to resolve your issues. Especially after running AdwCleaner, run the ' Zemana Anti-Malware Tool'

All the Best

Cliff

Consumer Products

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
Reliable Contributor
Message 3 of 9

Moved From >  Live Support to Home User Assistance

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
ayemac
Level 7
Message 4 of 9

Thanks Cliff. I may look into this for a deeper cleanse, so to speak.

Reliable Contributor
Message 5 of 9

​,

You are quite welcome.  AdwCleaner is a superb cleaner for 'Browser Hijackers'/Adware. That is why I recommended you using it, for I seen where you stated you had already ran Malewarebytes. You were correct in running the Zemana Antimalware Application, as it is similar to Malwarebytes, being compatible with your Anti-Virus.

It does indeed do a 'Deeper' Cleaning of your system, and is always used as a second opinion tool. If it does not show up anything further, you can generally consider your system clean.

All the Best,

Cliff

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 9

You also can check your system periodically with the McAfee Getsusp Tool. While it does not clean your system , it is superb at detecting 'Unknown/Suspicious' Files which are then added to the McAfee Global Threat Intelligence Base.

Simply enter your email address under 'Preferences' in the User Interface before scanning. This Free tool and others can be obtained from this link

Again,

All the Best,

Cliff

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
Reliable Contributor
Message 7 of 9

​,

I am marking this thread as 'Assumed Answered'. As there has been no correspondence since 10/20/2016. If further assistance is need, please create a new thread.

All the Best,

Cliff

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
Reliable Contributor Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Message 8 of 9

The symptoms are those of a browser hijacker. It's probably fixable by running Malwarebytes and AdwCleaner.

In passing : Malwarebytes have just acquired AdwCleaner, which is definitely a vote of confidence in the product.

ayemac
Level 7
Message 9 of 9

Malwarebytes didn't do anything, but AdwCleaner did. Thank you. I'm still not 100% confident that this is a resolved issue, but at least the hijacked piece appears to have been resolved. I do not have a good feeling that neither McAfee nor Malwarebytes discovered any issue.