cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

My system is infected with xp antispyware 2010

All

I need help My system is infected with xp antispyware 2010. i have full protection from Mcafee and thought that i will get notified at least before some trojan or spyware attacked my system. But i did not get any notification from Mcafee. Any ways can some one suggest me how we can remove this spyware/virus from my laptop. any good and reliable tool available ?

Note : I did a deep scan using Mcafee it could not detect this virus/spyware in my machine but i am getting many popups and the icon is showing in my taskbar.

7 Replies
Highlighted

Re: My system is infected with xp antispyware 2010

We have the same issue with Antivirus Enterprise 8.7 + Antispyware Enterprise module (latest patches, latest DATs) and it just completely slips by the McAfee software, I know this is enterprise antivirus rather than home but the issue is that security software we are annually paying a lot of money for should be a little more effective than it seems to be!!!

Highlighted

Did you get your question answered?  I have same issue.  McAfee said to use any of their free tools, but the download was blocked.  Looking for assistance before having to pay for removal - considering I've already paid for coverage that didn't work.

Highlighted

Do you have access to another, non-infected machine, where you could make yourself a bootable CD? Then, booting from that CD, you can download FakeAlert Stinger and scan the infected machine.

Irene

Highlighted

Out of curiousity I have isolated the machine in question and am running a full scan again with the Artemis heuristic setting on Very High, it has reported back that it has found and cleaned Threat Name: Artemis!FD90DA927CD3

It looks to have cleaned the virus off but now when we try to open any programs it asks what we want to open them with, as if it has disassociated the link from the exe file to open up the corresponding application.

Im not sure what the equivalent setting would be in the home product but that seems (at the moment anyway) to have removed the malware from the system, just need to sort the problem out so th euser can open their applications again!

Highlighted

I am on my office computer now and am going to download the fake stinger onto a CD (hopefully), if not, I do have a memory stick.  I will go back and read up on the bootable CD, which I do recall reading over last night.  The virus keeps blocking my downloads, which is very irritating.

Highlighted

I am also facing the xp nightmare and hope that imikhlm's instructions work--but finding a bootable cd while traveling will be daunting.  Note that imikhlm did not answer the fundamental question: why did our dearly paid for virus protection software not prevent this time confusing and frustrating problem? Nor did he address the even more important question: How do we prevent this from happening the next time we go on the internet (like tomorrow!!)?   Perhaps it's time to choose another more responsive vendor.  Ripped Off

Highlighted

Since the original poster has not replied since the 23-02, this thread is now locked.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community