cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

My first trojan experience.

A trojan was recently quarantined and removed with help from Mcafee. But Im not sure how long it was there or what damage may have been done. After the files were removed it was recomended that I reinstall Mcafee in order to resolve some unrelated error messege issues. So the new installation has a different interface than the old one and I noticed something about real time scanning. Did the other version with the old interface also have real time scanning? If it did than I suspect that the trojan was only present for about an hour or so while I was trying to get support. Im a novice at this and am still a little worried. Im just trying to put my mind at ease. Any help from a Mcafee rep would be appreciated.

5 Replies
Highlighted

Re: My first trojan experience.

Moving thread to the security awareness area.

We do upgrade our consumer products from time to time and as part of this upgrade the user interface does tend to change too. Without knowing what you were previously running I can't say for definite that Artemis was enabled, but it's very likely as the technology has been in the consumer product for about two years.

It's hard to say how long the suspect file was on your machine - do you happen to recall what the detection name was?

Hope this helps,

Sam

Highlighted

Not completely sure the name, there were two files both begining with Fake Alert, I beleive one of them was called Fake Alert-AVPSec.e. Also, I think one or both had something to do with Java. I am not sure which version of Mcafee I had before but it has been less than two years sinc I purchased it.

Highlighted

Ok, did a little research and I think one of them was called FakeAlertAntiSpywarePro, or something to that effect. I dont remember ever installing any extra antispyware software or even being prompted to. Can you tell me what kind of risk levels I may be dealing with? Thanks for your help.

Highlighted

uh hello?

Highlighted

Hello

All vendors anti-virus programs have real-time scanning, they are continually scanning in the background. The new version does have a different interface/look. Always a good idea to run online scans with different vendors for a second opinion, such as Eset, Kaspersky or Panda to name three.

As to the fakealert, i would guess that Mcafee caught the malicious file before it had a chance to do any damage, if the file had been there for some time, you would have noticed pop-ups appearing in your taskbar or desktop, as this did not happen, the file was caught before it had a chance to do anything malicious.

Here are two good antispyware programs that i would recommend:

http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html?part=dl-10804572&subj=d...

http://www.superantispyware.com/

Install the FREE versions

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community