cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

My firewall keeps turning off randomly :(

so i have ran a variety of programs to try and find anything that may be wrong, but so far nothing is showing up.i ran combofix, hitmanpro, spybot search and destory, and of course mcafee. So far none of them have come up with anything more than a few tracking cookies. Can anyone think of a reason it would just turn off?

3 Replies
Highlighted

Re: My firewall keeps turning off randomly :(

Nothing off the top my head comes to mind but is your operating system fully up to date including any part of it that you may not use?  (For instance, IE and its add-ons if you use another browser, people tend to neglect it, it should be IE8 in XP and IE9 in Vista and 7 + all the security updates that Windows Update offers).

Go to Start/Run (Windows Key + R) and type in Services.msc and in the ensuing display go down to Windows Firewall Service and make sure it's started and automatic - doiuble-click and edit it if necessary.

Run the Virtual Technician to see if it finds anything it can fix:  http://mvt.mcafee.com/

Also run Stinger and Malwarebytes Free from the last link in my signature.

Highlighted

well... i did find out that my computer has been trying to install updates for a long while now and it always fails. that is news to me. my windows firewall is started and automatic. but on a worrying note... the virtiual tech didnt find any products it can scan... even if i have it up in another tab. any suggestionss x.x am going to run sting now

Highlighted

Maybe when those updates get installed it'll work better.  Don't worry about MVT not finding anything.  That usually happens if you get the software from 3rd parties, your ISP or PC maker for example.

Technical Support can help you for free assuming this isn't infection-related.   They are linked under McAfee Support at the top of this page.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 22/12/12 2:25:12 EST PM

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community