cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gnhart
Level 7

My Security Shield

Jump to solution

I am trying to install a McAfee program.  It stops me and says that I need to remove the "My Security Shield" from my computer.  I went on google and followed the Malwarebytes process and it found NOTHING.  I tried to reboot and got the same message to remove the Security Shield file.  I can not install the program until I remove the Security Shield ut I can NOT remove it .... sounds like a rock and a hard place ......  HELP  :-)

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
exbrit
Level 21

Re: My Security Shield

Jump to solution

Hi, 'My Security Shield' is a rogue antispyware program and as such most antivirus applications have a hard time spotting it.

There is an excellent removal guide HERE.  Scroll down that page as the first links you see are advertising links.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 15/09/10 7:52:34 EDT AM
0 Kudos
7 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

Hi, 'My Security Shield' is a rogue antispyware program and as such most antivirus applications have a hard time spotting it.

There is an excellent removal guide HERE.  Scroll down that page as the first links you see are advertising links.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 15/09/10 7:52:34 EDT AM
0 Kudos
vinoo
Level 13

Jump to solution

Not sure if you'll be able to view this, but here is an internal blog on how to deal with Security Shield Trojan family.

https://community.mcafee.com/community/security/sa_moderators/blog/2010/09/12/security-warning-appli...

Best,
Vinoo

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

Vinoo that isn't visible to regular users so it really should be posted as a new blog somewhere publicly.  Possibly somewhere in Security Awareness?

0 Kudos
vinoo
Level 13

Jump to solution

I first tried posting it under Security Awareness - apparently I don't have permissions. I've ping April to help me out here.

Best,
Vinoo

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

I see April commented on your blog thinking that you could, so I replied to her that you couldn't.

0 Kudos
washio
Level 7

Jump to solution

The original post requesting help to remove Security Shield remains unanswered two years later.  This virus is very common and infected our computers 3 times over the last 2 years.  We had to purchase another virus removal program when McAfee refused to provide protection.  They tried to get us to pay for the removal service which got me thinking.  Is McAfee being honest with their customers?  Why hasn't McAfee updated their AntiVirus Plus protection to prevent this common infection?  How much revenue is McAfee generating from leaving their customer unprotected and charging for removal?  I bet a class action lawsuit would change their business practices.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

It was answered, the OP just failed to mark it so.  The virus has mutated over the years and antivirus makers constantly play catch up, however, these fake anti-malware pests aren't viruses in the normal sense of the word as they require human intervention, no matter how trivial, to be activated.

If you click the last link in my signature below it has some hints and tools on dealing with such things.   Free hints and tools by the way.  There is always a free way of doing things.

No-one forces anyone to use the paid service, which by the way, all antivirus makers charge for.

Uttering threats doesn't serve any purpose other than scaring off any helpers here.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 07/07/12 10:32:23 EDT AM
0 Kudos