cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dallen8550
Level 7

Microsoft Money (msofd.dll trojan)

Jump to solution

After my McAfee Virus Scanner update yesterday, I can no longer open Microsoft Money 2005. McAfee says it has found a trojan (Artemis!B750F778FD59) and removed it (msofd.dll) and Money crashes. Money was working fine up until yesterday and works if I disable McAfee before opening it. I am not the only one with this issue. Others can be found here http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.money/browse_thread/thread/209ed1d77d0a10d4/cee46386.... Any suggestions on a permanent fix?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
exbrit
Level 21

Re: Microsoft Money (msofd.dll trojan)

Jump to solution

The sooner someone submits a sample to the Threat Center and they distribute an update to cover it, the better.

There are guidelines on this here:  http://community.mcafee.com/message/6645#6645

0 Kudos
14 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

The sooner someone submits a sample to the Threat Center and they distribute an update to cover it, the better.

There are guidelines on this here:  http://community.mcafee.com/message/6645#6645

0 Kudos
c.o.b.b.
Level 7

Jump to solution

I had the same problem, when I found the file the quaranteened and tried to send it to McAfee (one of 3 choices, remove, restore, send ) it said the file was to large.  This file is part of microsoft money buried in the microsoft money 2005/mnycorefiles.  Interestingly this mnycorefiles folder can not be seen using windows explorer even with view hidden files turned on.  It can be observed using the command prompt and typing the path.

I restored the file but if try to access money the file is deleted again.  I had to turn off the virus program to open the program.  I hope you fix this soon.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

How big is the file?   They do have an unofficial policy for large files:

http://community.mcafee.com/thread/6994

You may have to disable VirusScan temporarily in order to restore the file and then email it outside the SecurityCenter.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 15/12/09 9:26:05 EST PM
0 Kudos
c.o.b.b.
Level 7

Jump to solution

The file is 2.58 MB.  According to the instructions you gave I can e-mail it.  What subject line do I put on the e-mail?

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

False.     Remember to zip it and password-protect using the password infected.

0 Kudos
mfcjr1
Level 7

Jump to solution

I have the same symptoms as everyone else (MS Money will not open after update on Dec. 20 to Mcafee Internet Security Suite) however I did not receive a message that a trojan was cought and there is nothing in my Quarantine.  All components of Security Suite are up to date.  If I turn off virus protection Money still will not open.  Any thoughts?

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

mfcjr1 wrote:

I have the same symptoms as everyone else (MS Money will not open after update on Dec. 20 to Mcafee Internet Security Suite) however I did not receive a message that a trojan was cought and there is nothing in my Quarantine.  All components of Security Suite are up to date.  If I turn off virus protection Money still will not open.  Any thoughts?

Are you absolutely sure there is nothing in the Restore section, under "Files"..?

Also check the logs.

Double-click the taskbar icon to open SecurityCenter

Click Advanced Menu (bottom)

Click Reports and Logs (left)

Click View Log (right)

Click Computer and Files (left)

Click Detection Log  and see if any clues are shown in the right-hand panel.

Did you try reparing the Money installation?

0 Kudos
mfcjr1
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thanks for your response.

There is nothing in the restore section.  In the logs under computer and files (Systemguards logs) there is a notation that msmoney.exe was allowed.   I have not tried any repair at this point.  Have been using Money 2006 for 4 years with no problem until latest Mcafee install yesterday.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

Then it would appear that some unknown process is at work here.  I suggest you contact Technical Support Chat via the McAfee Support link above.

0 Kudos