cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sutieday
Level 7

Mcafee doesn't fix Artemis false positives in a timely manner

Jump to solution

Here is the link to a file that comes in a game called "Payday 2". I play and recieve the files from Steam. When I load the game Mcafee keeps flagging the file as a virus, causing the game to fail. I sent them an email trying to get it fixed and the automated system sent me a response and I never got anything back after that, and weeks later the file is still being detected. What is going on at Mcafee??? I later foung out that I can't exclude files that are falsely detected by Artemis. This is a pain as most security products will allow you to exlude files from realtime scanning but Mcafee does not. I find that crazy for a security product that has been around for years. The fact that I have to email them a file and not even have the false positive removed is ridiculous! This is my first time on the Mcafee forums so please I would like some help in getting this FP resolved as soon as possible. I am currently using Mcafee Total Protection- All Access provided by my ISP on my home pc, but on this one I'm using Comodo IS Premium because they unlike Mcafee are actually able to fix False Detections!

Virustotal link of False Positive:

https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/f695e41d28c23e7907fde1e47f53a4328b984746f3dbb72dfbaceab85e3496fd/...

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vinoo
Level 13

Re: Mcafee doesn't fix Artemis false positives in a timely manner

Jump to solution

That's whitelisted as well now. Give it ~25 mins for cloud to get updated.

0 Kudos
21 Replies
catdaddy
Level 20

Jump to solution

Hi sutieday,

Being a "Gamer" I can understand your frustration .Even as the link you inserted above indicates,10/54 Anti-Virus Engines Detected it with Various Descriptions/Names. Quite often is the case with Steam/Minecraft/HoxHud Mod games and files.

Even as you can see by the following link Malware scan of pd2apidll1.dll a777e448aedc62dc09412897e7f63a1615f14ca8 - herdProtect  it shows that it is detected by other Security Vendors as well.

You say that you submitted the File/Program to McAfee and received a Automated response? I trust this response included a Analysis ID #? Could you please post back the following, confirming that McAfee indeed has it under analysis? We will do our very best to expedite the process of Clearing/Whitelisting this file.

As for the capability of excluding Files, this has been re-introduced in Version 13.6 for Windows 7 Sp1/8/8.1. and above. Having said this, doing so is your prerogative and at your own risk. It is quite possible if the file has not been cleared by McAfee, it will still detect it for various of reasons.

Normally when a file or program has more than (2) especially (4) Detections gives one reason for concern.

Having said this...Placing the Security of your Operating system more important, than a game. Waiting for your response/Analysis ID # so as we can expedite the process ,and possibly contact someone in McAfee Labs.

Just in case you may need to re-submit, the instructions/Guidelines are here 

Wishing you all the very Best,

Regards,

Catdaddy

McAfee Moderator

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Jump to solution

As CD said if you have an analysis ID number and the date submitted post that I will ping a lab tech to answer the issue.

0 Kudos
sutieday
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thanks for the response, the Analysis ID: 9049611. Also how do i get version 13.6? Is that in beta? I have 12.8 on my other machine and it's fully updated. Also, I am very sure that it is safe, as it is a game file of a popular game distributed by Steam. I have another file that I would like to send to Mcafee that has a False positive on it, It's over the 10mb limit to send through email so how do I send it? Here is the virus total link for the file I wish to send, it is safe and is from my Cable TV provider.

Virustotal link for another FP by Artemis: https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/8505e5b1a09c0d499ffd83186fa459776d0eab74d96998fb45dbcc8c1b26578c...

(File is signed by a reputable company that Mcafee is now doing business with)

Also, I know for a fact that those Herd Protect detections are out dated Comodo doesn't detect the file as a virus and the recent Virustotal actually shows that those vendors that did detect it removed it from their blacklist.

0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

Jump to solution

Thank you for your quick response. You may also choose to run The McAfee Getsusp Tool to submit files to Avert Labs. Please make certain you enter your Email Address under "Preferences" before scanning.

This Tool can be found in the Link I provided you....

All the very Best,

Catdaddy

McAfee Moderator

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos
sutieday
Level 7

Jump to solution

Again that tool only accepts files that are 10mb so, why can't Mcafee staff harvest files from virus total?

0 Kudos
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Jump to solution

They probably do I will ping a tech to look at it hopefully the message system on this new forum works

0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

Jump to solution

Thanks PK......

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos
SafeBoot
Level 21

Jump to solution

sutieday wrote:

Again that tool only accepts files that are 10mb so, why can't Mcafee staff harvest files from virus total?

It already happens>> BUT it doesn't mean the file goes to the "top of the queue", or that after analysis we make the determination that you want...

VirusTotal and confidentiality

Files and URLs sent to VirusTotal will be shared with antivirus vendors and security companies so as to help them in improving their services and products. We do this because we believe it will eventually lead to a safer Internet and better end-user protection.

By default any file/URL submitted to VirusTotal which is detected by at least one scanner is freely sent to all those scanners that do not detect the resource. Additionally, all files and URLs enter a private store that may be accessed by premium (mainly security/antimalware companies/organizations) VirusTotal users so as to improve their security products and services.

0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

Jump to solution

Thank you Safeboot for that invaluable information....

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos