Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
anant_usa
Level 7

Mcafee LiveSafe on Win 8.1 detected PUP-FOG

Hello,

Have Mcafee Livesafe installed on Win 8.1 on HP Envy 15-j109tx

Getting an Alert from Mcafee Livesafe that a Potentially Unwanted Program Blocked. The details are:

Name PUP-FOG

C:\program files(x86)\movies toolbar\saftynut\saftycrt.dll

There is option to Remove/Allow/Close. Selected Remove and it shows up again.

Has anyone faced this situation and rectified, or does someone know how to get rid off it?

Thanks,
Anant

0 Kudos
10 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Re: Mcafee LiveSafe on Win 8.1 detected PUP-FOG

Moved this to Malware Discussion > Home User Assistance.

PUP's aren't regarded as dangerous, just possibly unwanted, often a nuisance.  Always be careful what you download and from where and always be alert for unwanted add-ons included in a download.

Remove Movies Toolbar using this tutorial:  Remove Movies Toolbar by Bandoo Media (Uninstall Guide)

Toronto ▪ Canada
Volunteer Moderator - Consumer Products
I CAN'T HELP PRIVATELY - PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS
Use Advanced Search To Find Answers

Consumer Technical Support (alter Country @ top right as needed)

Consumer Customer Service (Accounts, Billing, Registration, etc.)
Anti-Spyware/Malware/Hijacker Removal Tools

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

The above applies if the option to remove from that alert doesn't work.

Toronto ▪ Canada
Volunteer Moderator - Consumer Products
I CAN'T HELP PRIVATELY - PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS
Use Advanced Search To Find Answers

Consumer Technical Support (alter Country @ top right as needed)

Consumer Customer Service (Accounts, Billing, Registration, etc.)
Anti-Spyware/Malware/Hijacker Removal Tools

0 Kudos
anant_usa
Level 7

Hello,

Just for curiosity, I have been trying to search for the details about PUP-FOG in Mcafee website but can't find.

This is surprising that if a Potentaiily Unwanted Program (PUP) has been named by Mcafee then some information

about it should have been posted - DAT file to whatever level?

Mcafee does list PUPs for which fix has been provided in its release notes, which means there should be information

about this PUP also, when its fix is likely to be available.

Thanks,
Anant

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

As it's a PUP, not necessarily malware, I think PUP-FOG is simply a generic term for that particular variety of PUP.

The software looks for possibly malicious processes and flags them for your attention.

It wont be listed at the database unless it becomes an actual infection.

0 Kudos
anant_usa
Level 7

But the file (C:\program files(x86)\movies toolbar\saftynut\saftycrt.dll) which Mcafee LiveSafe tried to quarantine and then try to remove, had been there on my

PC since Mar 20, 214 but the PUP-FOG has been reported/detected by Mcafee LiveSafe on Sep 3rd, last week. So very likely, Mcafee has added this file as PUP

in its definitions and assigned the name PUP-FOG. That's why I want to see more info about this Alert/Threat.

Thanks,
Anant

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Restore it from Quarantine then and let that tutorial above work.   Maybe McAfee has trouble removing it and it requires the use of force.

You may have to temporarily disable Realtime Scanning to allow that to happen.

It's not the PUP-FOG that is the problem, it's the movies toolbar.

0 Kudos
anant_usa
Level 7

One update:

From today onwards, Mcafee LiveSafe - Internet Security is reporting PUP as "SearchSuite" and no more as "PUP-FOG"

and mentions "Quarantined from C:\program files(x86)\movies toolbar\safetynut\x64\saftycrt.dll"

PUP-FOG was pointing to the same file name but from differnet folder C:\program files(x86)\movies toolbar\saftynut\saftycrt.dll.

This time file is under subdir x64.

What does this mean?

There is some info in Mcafee portal Adware-SearchSuite | Threat Profile & Definition | McAfee Inc. but doesn't provide any info on DAT or removal?

Thanks,
Anant

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Who knows?  All it means is the database has been changed/updated and it's detecting more perhaps?

0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

@anant_usa,

You may try this Excellent Removal Guide: How to remove SafetyNut virus (Easy Removal Guide)

In regards to the (Adware Search Suite) the above Guide basically utilizes the same tools. However just in case, here is the Removal Guide for it: Remove Win32/Toolbar.SearchSuite (Virus Removal Guide)

I might add, as Ex_Brit has stated and I agree. Variants of any Detection evolve, and change all the time.

Regards,

Catdaddy

McAfee Moderator

Consumer Products

Edited: By Catdaddy to add more content

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos