cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

McAffee AV stuck and frozen. Firewall deactivated on its own. Please, help.

Jump to solution

Please help!

This morning I was surfing the web with no problem.

Some hours later I started a security scan.

All of a sudden McAffee gave me a warning that it had caught a Trojan but I didn't have to do anything myself.

The message appeared green, not red.

A while later I realized it only scanned a bit more than 9000 files.

It got stuck there.

It is still stuck after 5 hours.

I got scared thinking about the trojan and downloaded Stinger to see if somehow the trojan managed to escape.

It's been more than 2 hours.  Stinger got stuck after checking only 90 something files.

Then I checked McAffee and the whole program is stuck, just telling me the Firewall is disabled (it disabled on its own) and also the Anti-Spam feature.

I don't know what to do.

I am scared.

I checked the Windows Security Center (I am using Vista).   I tried to activate the Windows Firewall but was not able to do it.

Please, help.

I am reading previous questions. I am thinking probably the trojan affected the computer somehow. I am able to access the Internet with no problems. But I have no security at all. As Stinger also stopped working I will try to use another program recommended here in the document that has several links regarding to malware. If I find the trojan I will try to delete it. My OS is Vista and I am using the most basic McAffee AV as it is included as free download program from my Internet service provider.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: McAffee AV stuck and frozen. Firewall deactivated on its own. Please, help.

Jump to solution

I fixed it myself using the large document that has many links.

I removed 9 dangerous files, the malicious programme (Trojan) among them.

I rebooted the computer.   McAffee is working fine now.

Thank you for the moderators who uploaded the long self-help document.   Malawarebytes did the job very well and from now on I will run it twice a week as recommended!!!!

0 Kudos
1 Reply

Re: McAffee AV stuck and frozen. Firewall deactivated on its own. Please, help.

Jump to solution

I fixed it myself using the large document that has many links.

I removed 9 dangerous files, the malicious programme (Trojan) among them.

I rebooted the computer.   McAffee is working fine now.

Thank you for the moderators who uploaded the long self-help document.   Malawarebytes did the job very well and from now on I will run it twice a week as recommended!!!!

0 Kudos