cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
d.keay7
Level 7

McAfee says I have a trojan but has not removed it?

In the Security report of my last scan McAfee identified 2 trojans.   When I do Navigations > History & Logs > Threats detected it is blank.  Also Security centre says "0 viruses and spyware detected in your last scan".   Do I have a problem or not ?   Help !

0 Kudos
14 Replies
rajdotkapoor
Level 7

I got the same message today as well. However the indows dialog box said it was a trojan/renos. The moment I would click on this dialog box it would vanish. I would then have to go down to the task bar icon that alerts you to windows messages, and get that dialog box again but then it would hide again. After multiple tries I was sucessfull in hitting the clean button. Note that the McAfee was being update at the time, and it did not report any virus being detected. Things seemed to have resolved, but who knows... after a reboot there was no log that reported any virus. WHAT HAPPENED???

0 Kudos
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Anything in Quarantine area?. I would also rerun the scan.

0 Kudos
bobbyklump
Level 7

Re: McAfee says I have a trojan but has not removed it?

I did a full scan this morning and i have four Trojans detected

When i go to ‘’Navigation’’ and click ‘’ history and logs’’i then click ‘’threat detected’’ and threats detected is BLANK.

i am now doing a custom scan on 'c' drive

is there away of simply deleting these trojans that are detected by Mcafee?

thank you

0 Kudos
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Reboot that is needed to sometimes removes them . Also scan in safe mode without the trojans loaded can help as well.

that said what are they called and file name and location?

0 Kudos
bobbyklump
Level 7

please explain how to scan in SAFE MODE?

How do i find the name of the trojans that have been detected?

i have lenovo g540 laptop

windows 7 os

google chrome

i am NOT technical. please explain everything/ how to scan properly and if trojan still detected then how do i locate and delete them, in simple terms

thank you very much

0 Kudos
bobbyklump
Level 7

I have done a full scan and a custom scan on ‘’c’ drive (laptop lenovo g540 with  windows 7)

Results 

No issues detected

During your (my) scan mcafee did not detect any viruses,spyware or other threats.

Scan summary total 138170

Files 132908

Cookies 45

Processes 70

Reg items 0

Boots records 2

BUT

When i press home on mcafee security centre and click reports

It says

Items detected 4 TROJANS

Where are the Trojans?

How do i delete the Trojans?

Please help

I am confused

My laptop is working fine. It’s just that i saw the ‘4 Trojans’and i am a slightly concerned

Thank you

0 Kudos
lakshmanans
Level 12

Dear Bobby,

Either the binfected files may detect on reltime scan instead of On-Demand scan kindly check the real time scan logs.....

0 Kudos
Hayton
Level 17

You mean you're seeing something like this?

Trojans detected.JPG

What that means is that McAfee has detected and dealt with Trojans at some time in the past. The Report section shows you a running total of everything found since you installed McAfee (or perhaps since the latest version was installed), not the results of the most recent scan. Which is why the report above shows 9000+ tracking cookies, which McAfee no longer bothers to detect and quarantine. It's historical data, not current data.

bobbyklump
Level 7

YES thats exactly what i see- WOW

am i ok? is my laptop ok?

many thanks

i am grateful

0 Kudos