cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chipper
Level 7

McAfee pop up tells me that I have an unwanted program trying to install on my computer

I click Remove and then OK. Winthin 30 seconds I get the same pop up from McAfee related to the same unwanted program - PUP_FNK. The McAfee popup continues and essent

Can someone give me some help on the question asked. No response from McAfee.

Message was edited by: Simon Hunt - clean up long title.

0 Kudos
13 Replies

Re: McAfee pop up tells me that I have an unwanted program trying to install on my computer. I click Remove and then OK. Winthin 30 seconds I get the same pop up from McAfee related to the same unwanted program - PUP_FNK. The McAfee popup continues and es

Hi

Please post back the location of Potentially Unwanted Program to proceed further. You can see this on the McAfee pop - up Notification.

Tier 2.5 Technician
0 Kudos
chipper
Level 7

Re: McAfee pop up tells me that I have an unwanted program trying to install on my computer. I click Remove and then OK. Winthin 30 seconds I get the same pop up from McAfee related to the same unwanted program - PUP_FNK. The McAfee popup continues and es

The name of the unwanted program is PUP-FNK. Clicking remove or Close on the McAfee popup does not remove or close the unwanted program or the McAfee popup which is continuous.

0 Kudos
Peacekeeper
Level 20

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

I moved this to Malware Discussion as that appears to be an appropriate spot for it.

0 Kudos
Hayton
Level 17

It's adware. That definition refers to a whole range of adware applications - I've found a few and I'm sure there are plenty more. The full name of the first application in the list is "clearthink.browseradapter.exe", and the others all have the same "browseradapter.exe" suffix.

• ClearThink
  • ToggleMark
  • AtuZi
  • DizzyDing
  • allgenius
  • Deal Keeper

Malware scan of clearthink.browseradapter.exe 1273b4b89b1b6125c363c943c57d96462c2b5027 - herdProtect

ClearThink Analysis - herdProtect

The application clearthink.browseradapter.exe by ClearThink has been detected as adware by 26 anti-malware scanners. It will plug into the web browser and display context-based advertisements by overwriting existing ads or by inserting new ones on various web pages. It is part of the Yontoo web-extension that injects advertisements in the browser.

ClearThink is a brand of the Sambreel/Yontoo group, a web advertising company located in Carlsbad, CA. The company is a primary distributor of adware type software. It is part of the Yontoo/Sambreel group and distributes web browser add-ons, typically potentially unwanted and adware in nature, that are designed to modify a user's typical search behaviour as well as display context and popup advertising.

They're all part of the Sambreel/Yontoo group, an organisation which once tried to sue Facebook for preventing it from placing adverts on Facebook via a tool advertised as a way to let members change the look of their profile page. It lost.

Their WOT reputation is surprisingly restrained, all things considered -

https://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/sambreel.com

There are any number of articles detailing the devious and unethical ways that Sambreel foists advertising on unsuspecting users, and ten times as many websites helping users get rid of their unwanted applications. Here's an example of Sambreel's ClearThink being bundled with a - completely fake - Flash update :

Phony flash update strikes yet again - Mike's Magic Box

Sambreel got caught out injecting ads into YouTube, earning the wrath of Google -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23696805

The Creepy Ad Firm That's Charging Top Brands For YouTube Ads That Aren't Supposed To Exist - Forbes

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2013-08/14/youtube-sambreel-advertising

spider.io — Sambreel is Still Injecting Ads. Video Advertisers, Beware.

Watch out for some of their other brands - they have plenty, and all to be avoided

• Web Cake
  • Web Layers
  • Web Connect

See more, and some screenshots, at

http://www.threattracksecurity.com/it-blog/unmasked-sambreels-string-of-aliases/

Read about Yontoo's webpage-modifying applications :

http://www.sambreel.com/public/YontooGetsANewFaceliftPR.pdf

If the McAfee warning is repeatedly appearing then something is attempting to install a Sambreel application on your system. McAfee sees what's in the pipeline and blocks it, but hasn't detected whatever's doing the invoking - probably a Trojan, probably arriving as part of a bundled download. Never mind (for now) how it got there, the important thing is to get rid of it. Follow any advice which has already been given for cleaning malware/adware from your system.

chipper
Level 7

Thanks for the detailed info. Have no idea how this attack occurred as this is a brand new computer and other than downloading Firefox have not yet even been on the www. Do you have any suggestions of a program to eliminate it? McAfee tech was no help. Told me to call HP after being bounced around for over an hour. Seems to me that if McAfee created the pop up to alert me of the unwanted program and the McAfee pop up is constant that they would have the ability it get rid of the unwanted program or at least quarantine it.

THanks for for your help.

Chipper

0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

Re: McAfee pop up tells me that I have an unwanted program trying to install on my computer

Please follow the Guidelines/Instructions in this reputable Removal Guide:

Remove Yontoo Toolbar (Uninstall Guide)

Some of these same Superb (Free) Tools can be found under Peacekeepers Signature (Post #3) or below.

To get a better understanding of how this Nasty arrived on your system. Please read the following Article

Written by none other than (Hayton) himself:

Regards,

Catdaddy

Volunteer Moderator

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos
Hayton
Level 17

Re: McAfee pop up tells me that I have an unwanted program trying to install on my computer

Applying the Sherlock Holmes dictum, if it's a new system and all you did was download Firefox then logically either something came pre-installed when you bought it, or something came bundled with Firefox. You got FF from the official Mozilla site? I know there are places offering FF from their own site but they often make sure you get all sorts of unwanted extras with it.

Open Firefox and check the list of add-ons. If you haven't gone wild and added a load yourself what you see should be a basic set. Anything snuck in without your knowledge should stand out from the default add-ons, so if you see anything you can't identify just disable it and see if it makes a difference. That's a good start, and it's easy to do. Removal tools are your second line of attack.

0 Kudos
Hayton
Level 17

Someone else is posting to say they've got PUP-FNK and in their case it is ClearThink.

Keep an eye on that thread for advice and tips. Ex_Brit has found some removal advice specifically for ClearThink but it might also be useful to you.

0 Kudos