cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

McAfee does not block Malware from infected Websites

Jump to solution

My system was infected by malware like "Smart Fortress 2012" and "My Security Shield" though McAfee live-scan and firewall were activated.

- What can I do to get my system safe in the future?

- Is this a typical problem with Windows XP or can this kind of Malware invade Windows 7 as well?

Thanks for help

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Reliable Contributor rmetzger
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 3

Re: McAfee does not block Malware from infected Websites

Jump to solution

tomsimon wrote:

My system was infected by malware like "Smart Fortress 2012" and "My Security Shield" though McAfee live-scan and firewall were activated.

- Is this a typical problem with Windows XP or can this kind of Malware invade Windows 7 as well?

Thanks for help

Yes, Windows 7 can be 'invaded' as well.

The number one thing you can do to keep your system safe in the future is to Keep your system up to date with all software.

Recent attack vectors include Adobe, Apple, and Oracle products in addition to Microsoft products.

For Microsoft products, use Microsoft/Windows Update and ensure that all (and I mean All) security updates are installed. Microsoft Office, SQL, .Net Framework, and many others should be included. Though you may not have intentionally installed them, other software may have, and updates are therefore required. Make sure to check 'Recommended' updates as well.

For Adobe products, if installed, get the latest versions of Adobe Reader, Adobe Acrobat, Adobe Flash (both ActiveX and Plug-in versions), and Adobe Shockwave.

For Oracle products, get the latest version of Java. Unfortunately you may have to manually disable older versions Java to properly secure your system.

For Apple products, if installed, get the latest version of iTunes and QuickTime.

Unfortunately, these nuisance/malware programs like 'Smart Fortress 2012' and  'My Security Shield' tend to use older and exploitable versions of the products listed above. So, updating all of these products Is A Must.

Hope this helps.

Ron Metzger

on 4/25/12 2:50:27 PM EDT
Thanks,
Ron Metzger

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?
2 Replies
Reliable Contributor rmetzger
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 3

Jump to solution

tomsimon wrote:

Thanks for help

Yes, Windows 7 can be 'invaded' as well.

The number one thing you can do to keep your system safe in the future is to Keep your system up to date with all software.

Recent attack vectors include Adobe, Apple, and Oracle products in addition to Microsoft products.

For Microsoft products, use Microsoft/Windows Update and ensure that all (and I mean All) security updates are installed. Microsoft Office, SQL, .Net Framework, and many others should be included. Though you may not have intentionally installed them, other software may have, and updates are therefore required. Make sure to check 'Recommended' updates as well.

For Adobe products, if installed, get the latest versions of Adobe Reader, Adobe Acrobat, Adobe Flash (both ActiveX and Plug-in versions), and Adobe Shockwave.

For Oracle products, get the latest version of Java. Unfortunately you may have to manually disable older versions Java to properly secure your system.

For Apple products, if installed, get the latest version of iTunes and QuickTime.

Unfortunately, these nuisance/malware programs like 'Smart Fortress 2012' and  'My Security Shield' tend to use older and exploitable versions of the products listed above. So, updating all of these products Is A Must.

Hope this helps.

Ron Metzger

on 4/25/12 2:50:27 PM EDT
Thanks,
Ron Metzger

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?
Highlighted
newjack
Level 12
Message 3 of 3

Jump to solution

If you have already fixed your problem.I would do 2 things. 1.Download & always keep an updated version Of Malwarebytes.It is a great 2nd ondemand scanner.The free version.

www.Malwarebytes.org. Also you can go here And scan your PC to see if all of your programs are updated. http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/online/  IF you have the room on your computer you may want to also download this tool Secunia PSI.From the same Link provided.It will tell you if anything needs to be patched.A lot of this Malware breaks your security through other program vulnerabilities.Good Luck.Also If you are still Infected here is Link for How to get rid of your problem.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-smart-fortress-2012   Good luck

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community