Highlighted
gloak
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 1

McAfee could not shred 1 item

Hello,

first time here.

I downloaded a zip file from the net and run a couple of those online tools to catch any virus or malware. All was good except for one site; it was saying a shell was there. I do not have any knowledge about this kind of thing.

Antivirus did not catch anything.

I did not unzip the file.

I delete it and then deleted from the bin.

Run CC Clean.

I tried that other tool Recuva, but I was not able to understand that one correctly, so I didn't do much with that one.

This happens a few days ago.

Today, McAffe popped a dialogue to shred the same zipped file...

Sure, I thought that was gone....

And then there was this message: could not shred 1 item. Check Windows. It may be being used by another program.

So now I am worried again....

1) How can I go to the McAffe history and get the name of that one item? It should be displayed   to start with. We should not be required to dig deep into the app to find what was unshreddable.

2) can an unzipped file harm a computer?  (many people on google searches said not, but... I don't understand why someone cannot create self-executable malware.

3) What are the tools out there to remove malware? I use for the day to day stuff Malware and Bytes and McAffee. McAffe always running, but I am not sure a regular antivirus can really stop current malware. For some reason, I  have always had this feeling, and as matter of fact, it didn't catch that shell. (sorry I didn't write the name of it - but I could download the file again.... run the online tool and get the name 😕 not sure how I feel about that.

Thank you for any idea and help.