Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
kushal
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 10

McAfee cannot remove virus ismartsurf. I am unable to uninstall it. System restore is also disabled. Please help

McAfee cannot remove virus ismartsurf. I am unable to uninstall it. System restore is also disabled. Please help how to remove. Thanks !

9 Replies
Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 10

Re: McAfee cannot remove virus ismartsurf. I am unable to uninstall it. System restore is also disabled. Please help

Look in the last link in my signature below and use Adwcleaner plus Malwarebytes Free as an extra check.   To keep Malwarebytes totally free do NOT accept the free trial or click the free trial link.

Toronto ▪ Canada
Volunteer Moderator - Consumer Products
I CAN'T HELP PRIVATELY - PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS
Use Advanced Search To Find Answers

Consumer Technical Support (alter Country @ top right as needed)

Consumer Customer Service (Accounts, Billing, Registration, etc.)
Anti-Spyware/Malware/Hijacker Removal Tools

Reliable Contributor
Message 3 of 10

Re: McAfee cannot remove virus ismartsurf. I am unable to uninstall it. System restore is also disabled. Please help

By the way there is a removal guide I found but it is for istartsurf, not ismartsurf, so not sure it's what you are looking for.  The tools would be the same anyway.

How to remove iStartSurf.com virus (Removal Guide)

Hi,

It is nice to use free tools to clean virus but it is not good to improve McAfee detections a nd be included in DAT.

Please, run stinger a McAfee free tool and will collect samples and will upload to McAfee Labs to be analized abd if a virus is found will be included in the DAT

http://www.mcafee.com/es/downloads/free-tools/stinger.aspx

Best regards,

Jose Maria

Reliable Contributor
Message 5 of 10

It's GetSusp (also linked in my signature last link above) that forwards items to the labs for analysis if detected, not Stinger   The whole point of my recommending 3rd party tools occasionally is because no A/V, no matter what brand, will detect everything and never will, that's the nature of things.   These people need quick solutions, not wait until the labs catch up, if they do, which with many types of new malware is not always possible.

Reliable Contributor Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 10

McAfee won't stop this or block it because it's classed as a PUP (Potentially Useful Program). In theory it's just an enhanced search engine, but in the short time it's been noticed (about a month) it's picked up a lot of hostile criticism (see https://www.mywot.com/en/scorecard/istartsurf.com)

WhoIs shows that the istartsurf[dot]com website is running from a server in Dallas Texas, but the people behind the product are Chinese - an unknown company (name and details hidden) in Beijing. The registrar for the domain may be the developer, since it's a hosting provider and outsourcing company (HICHINA ZHICHENG TECHNOLOGY LTD)

More details at IStartSurf.com WHOIS, DNS, & Domain Info - DomainTools

It might be relevant that that Chinese registrar is associated with warnings - many warnings - in the past about internet scams, and that there is a whole slew of domains registered by it which host Zeus banking malware. Maybe they're just careless, or perhaps don't care, about who they allow to register with them for a website.

Examples (many others, but all relate to the website not the domain registrar)

ZeuS Tracker :: Registrar HICHINA ZHICHENG TECHNOLOGY LTD.

www.scamwarners.com View topic - Www.pspywf.com is a scam fraud website

To get rid of this PUP use the Malwaretips advice given above.

Reliable Contributor
Message 7 of 10

The website is owned by this company (Greensky Technology), with a US address, but it's still registered in China. Note the Red WOT rating.

istartsurf details.PNG

Hi there,

You can try http://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-istartsurf-virus/

Best regards,

Jose Maria

Reliable Contributor
Message 9 of 10

Already recommended in reply #2.

This new version of Jive has a tendency to replace the URL with the webpage header. Sometimes this is unhelpful.

Reliable Contributor
Message 10 of 10

Thread locked to prevent people from spamming it.