cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MurderMan11
Level 8

McAfee automatically deleting a file without my permission "trojan"

I recently downloaded a file that I KNOW is not a trojan because my friend gave me it, but everytime I unarchive it with winrar, McAfee goes nuts and automatically deletes it.

I have tried disabling McAfee in every way possible except uninstalling it.  I want to open this file but McAfee is PREVENTING me from doing it.  I can't even configure it to ASK me if I want to remove it.

Does anyone know what I can do?
I've tried going to the McAfee chat service and it won't run the GoToAssist program properly.  No idea why.  It just crashes when I launch it.  I think it's because I am running windows 7 64 bit.

I have McAfee AntiVirus Plus. Please help!

I have attached a screenshot of the file being deleted after I unarchive it.

I know for a FACT this is not a virus.  What can I do to stop McAfee from deleting files without my permission!?

0 Kudos
25 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Re: McAfee automatically deleting a file without my permission "trojan"

See this post on what options you have in these cases.

http://community.mcafee.com/message/6645#6645

0 Kudos
MurderMan11
Level 8

Thanks for your help, but I would like to have my virus protection ON while having this file, is there a way I can add an exception for this program to not be removed as a virus?

Edit:
Everytime I turn my McAfee back on it deletes the file and the only way I can leave my McAfee on is if I disabled Part of my Extended protection under real time scanning.

I have to disable this in order to get it to not delete the file:

Scan for viruses by identifying threat patterns.

Is there a way I can leave this on and have an exception for this program?

Message was edited by: MurderMan11 on 3/2/10 2:11:15 PM CST
0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

That post explains exactly what to do.  Disable VirusScan in order to submit the file to the Threat Center.  There is no way to tell VirusScan to ignore a file.

0 Kudos
SamSwift
Level 12

We can check the detection name to see if we have had any other submissions, and if so can examine them to see if this is a false detection or not.

Can you confirm the detection is still occurring please, and also post up the detection name into this thread?

If it is confirmed to be a false we can supress it in minutes for you.

Thanks,

Sam

0 Kudos
Mal09
Level 12

The file itself is being detected by both the normal dats (Heuristics) and also by Artemis.

New Poly Win32

Artemis!DBEE2E9C3C9A

Doesn't get a good report from Virustotal  ( http://www.virustotal.com/analisis/688550232dc0d96dbf530723dc5959ee4cdc41875a498e27a045acedb4ad152a-... ) = seems like a suspicious packer is being used.

I've uploaded it to Webimmune (5851309) if you want a closer look.

0 Kudos
SamSwift
Level 12

Thanks Mal,

I'll ask one of the analysts to investigate this further and report back.

Sam

0 Kudos
MurderMan11
Level 8

So wait, there's no way for ME as a user to make a choice about the files that go on my own computer?  I don't remember forfeitting the right to make decisions about the files on my computer and whether or not they should be deleted without my consent when I installed McAfee.

It's one thing to delete my file automatically because it's a virus; it's completely another to completely disallow me to allow a suspected "virus" onto my own computer with McAfee enabled.

I'm not exactly thrilled that I have to have my files "examined" by McAfee before I use them.

I should be able to decide for myself if a file is a virus or not, whether or not I want to leave it up to McAfee is a choice, not a requirement and it should remain a choice even with McAfee installed.

As for information about this file, it's called lazylaunch2.exe and it is not a virus. I disabled McAfee and it's running without any problems and my computer is not infected, I ran a full system scan afterwards and I was clean.

Edit:
I have added a screenshot of the file being deleted again today after I reenabled some settings.

I have editted this again to show that I have sent the file to McAfee for review, I have attached a screenshot of this.

Message was edited by: MurderMan11 on 3/2/10 4:47:21 PM CST

Message was edited by: MurderMan11 on 3/2/10 4:50:37 PM CST
SamSwift
Level 12

The home user product doesn't allow you to exclude files. This isn't something I can fix for you from a McAfee Labs point of view - we asked you to submit the file for one of our researchers to confirm if it's clean or otherwise. Just because you got it from a friend doesn't mean it's definitely not malware, just because you can't see it doing anything to your machine doesn't mean it's definitely not malware, and just because your scan came back clean doesn't mean it's definitely not malware.

Looking at the virustotal report this could well be an issue with the packer that's been used - once it's been investigated we'll confirm. I understand your frustration with this process but for peace of mind its always best to have things checked, even you are absolutely sure this is a false detection.

Sam

0 Kudos
MurderMan11
Level 8

It's not even really about the fact that it may or may not be a virus, as much as it is about the fact that I have no choice but to submit to McAfee's determination of if the file is a virus or not.  I, as a user and a customer, should be able to choose whether or not to have a file on my computer.  Letting me know that it might be a virus is enough, automatically deleting it and leaving me no way to recover the file and use it except by leaving my computer open to infection is unacceptable.  It completely baffles me as to why there isn't an option to add an exception for a specific file.  What if I was a programming student, writing programs and my programs kept getting deleted by this?  I would have no way to do my work.

on 3/2/10 5:59:43 PM CST