cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

McAfee Won't Help

I have had McAfee Security Suite subscription for over a year now.
The advertisement for the product states the following:
McAfee® Internet Security Suite with SiteAdvisor™
10-in-1 Protection
Safe Search & Surf
Home License Subscription Service
Stops Viruses
Halts Hackers
Blocks Spyware
Improves PC Health
Secures Your Identity
Prevents Spam & Email Scams
Protects Children Online
Backs Up & Restores Files

Safe Search & Surf
McAfee Internet Security Suite with SiteAdvisor™ adds safety ratings to websites and search engine results based on comprehensive spam, adware, and online scam safety tests. SiteAdvisor analyzes the results and rates websites in detail for unsafe or annoying practices such as dangerous downloads, spamming, misuse of personal information and browser hijacking. When searching with Google, Yahoo! or MSN, SiteAdvisor provides easy-to-understand safety ratings—red (danger), yellow (use caution) or green (safe)—that appear next to search results, helping you make informed decisions. PC World Magazine named McAfee SiteAdvisor 15th on their list of the top 100 products of 2007.

Home License Subscription Service
McAfee Internet Security Suite with SiteAdvisor secures up to 3 personal PCs and automatically delivers the latest software features and threat updates. The suite allows you to easily manage security subscriptions for each PC that you are protecting under your McAfee subscription.

Stops Viruses
McAfee Internet Security Suite with SiteAdvisor automatically guards your PC, email, IM, downloads, photos, music files, videos, financial records, online banking and shopping, and privacy from viruses, mass-mailing worms, backdoor Trojans and more. It also automatically cleans or quarantines infections with minimal interruption to your computing. McAfee’s world-renowned Avert Labs researchers provide daily updates that deliver fast, immediate protection from the latest threats. Other built-in features include:

McAfee SystemGuards watch for activity that may signal a virus, spyware or hacker is on your PC.
Always active detection that watches key system, Windows, host file and browser settings for suspicious changes such as DNS poisoning (a.k.a. pharming, which can redirect surfing to fraudulent websites) or activity that can compromise anti-virus security (e.g., buffer overflow attacks).
McAfee X-Ray for Windows removes dangerous root-kits and other malware that can hide deep in your operating system.

Halts Hackers
Constant inbound and outbound monitoring helps McAfee deter hackers, identity thieves and malware programs from robbing data, hijacking your system (e.g., to send spam) or planting viruses that can compromise privacy over dial-up or broadband. Fast "load and go" setup, customizable security levels, visual tracing, smart alerts, full screen mode and intelligent application handling help fine tune security, identify the source of threats and block suspect programs from "phoning home" personal information. Other built-in features include:

Stealth Mode helps hide your presence online, making your system practically invisible to global hackers.
HotSpot detection automatically elevates McAfee firewall security when you are not on your trusted network.
Boot-time protection shields your system from unauthorized connections before security programs are fully load.

Blocks Spyware
McAfee’s spyware protection detects, blocks, and removes spyware, adware, and other suspicious programs before they can steal log-ins and passwords (key-loggers), hijack your dial-up connection (Web dialers), track online surfing (cookies) or flood your surfing with annoying pop-up ads. Better protection based on new integrated anti-virus, anti-spyware engine. Now also detects and blocks tracking cookies.

Improves PC Health
McAfee SecurityCenter’s dashboard-like display helps you at a glance review your PC's security status and modify it with one-click. You can also easily check for updates, fix potential security issues or view settings in basic or advanced modes. With built-in McAfee QuickClean technology, McAfee Internet Security Suite with SiteAdvisor helps optimize your PC’s performance, eliminating drive-clogging "Internet build-up" (e.g., temp files, cached files, file remnants, Active X code), unused programs and other unnecessary clutter to free up valuable disk space. It also features a network map that shows the security status of your home network.

Secures Your Identity
McAfee Internet Security Suite with SiteAdvisor helps secure personal identification and financial information (e.g., name, phone, credit card, bank account numbers) from transmission over the Internet without permission. Featuring McAfee Shredder, sensitive files can be permanently deleted so as not to compromise your privacy.

McAfee’s anti-virus, anti-spyware, firewall and anti-spam security work together as a multi-layered shield against multi-faceted identity theft threats that may use a combination of malware to steal files, financial log-ins and other personally identity information. The suite also includes Password Vault, which safely stores Web login-ins, passwords and other personally identifiable information in a secure, password-protected, easy-to-access location.

Prevents Spam & Email Scam
McAfee Internet Security Suite with SiteAdvisor automatically recognizes and helps stop junk email—including identity and credit card scams, virus hoaxes and foreign language spam—from polluting your inboxes while letting trusted email through. Timely anti-spam filter updates ensure that you have the latest protection against spammers. More accurate spam detection, filtering and blocking with fewer false positives (email accidentally labeled spam).

Protects Children Online
McAfee Internet Security Suite with SiteAdvisor helps shield each family member from inappropriate Web content, online predators and chat using age-specific adjustable settings and easy-to-use filtering options. Also, the suite features McAfee ImageAnalyzer that protects children from viewing offensive images online.

Backs Up & Restores Files
McAfee Internet Security Suite with SiteAdvisor provides an automated back-up feature that preserves encrypted copies of irreplaceable photos, music files, videos and documents on CD/DVD, USB or external or network drives. With one-click, you can easily retrieve these archived files.

The product does not keep viruses off your machine, and if you attempt to contact McAfee about the problem all they do is tell you can buy some more products from them.

Is it just me? I'm confused. Aren't they obligated to support the products they allready have sold?
Are they not supposed to help you to keep your system virus free when you are allready paying for that service/product?

How can we make them help us?

This is just WRONG!

McAfee needs to step up and do what they advertise!
8 Replies
Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 9

RE: McAfee Won't Help

There isn't a single application in the world today that will provide 100% protection, whether it be McAfee, Norton, Kaspersky or whatever brand, and none of them claim to be perfect. It is just an impossible dream. Just read any reputable anti-malware forum and that will be obvious.
Always keep two or three extra anti-spyware tools handy: http://community.mcafee.com/showthread.php?t=136913

See also this thread: http://community.mcafee.com/showthread.php?t=214271

Surf safely and don't open attachments that you do not recognise and be extra careful downloading and file-sharing.

Your opening post attacks McAfee but fails to mention the important details of what your problem is or was, what operating system, service pack and browser you use and to which McAfee product versions you refer.

This forum is solely for technical support if you need it.

The product does not keep viruses off your machine, and if you attempt to contact McAfee about the problem all they do is tell you can buy some more products from them.

The product keeps the majority of infections at bay, however it is impossible to counter all the new infections that appear almost hourly. There is free technical support both here, and via the Technical Support link at the top left of this page, via Chat or Email. If you require assistance removing an infection we can help you here or refer you to where free help is obtainable.

Is it just me? I'm confused. Aren't they obligated to support the products they allready have sold?
Are they not supposed to help you to keep your system virus free when you are allready paying for that service/product?

They do. Here and as I mentioned earlier.

Not a Single Application

It's not a "Single" application,
There isn't a single application in the world today that will provide 100% protection, whether it be McAfee, Norton, Kaspersky or whatever brand, and none of them claim to be perfect.

It is a subscribed SUITE of applications, not ONE application.
If a problem is located and not fixed what good is the subscription?
McAfee is getting rich off of us, the consumer, without doing what they say they are going to do.

This is a technical support problem. This is a problem, and I'd like it fixed without having to cough up more $$.
They have given me no other recourse. I can't call anyone, there is no 800 number. I get no where from "Support". There is no support!

they should fix it with no more fees involved.

INFO:
Refresh screen
Specifications
Gateway
System Model: NX860XL
BIOS Version: Phoenix Technologies LTD 72.11

Operating System
Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version: 5.1.2600
Service Pack: 2.0

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU T7400 @ 2.16GHz
Version: x86 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 6
Speed: 2161 MHz
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU T7400 @ 2.16GHz
Version: x86 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 6
Speed: 2161 MHz

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name XXXXXXXXXX
System Manufacturer Gateway
System Model NX860XL
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 6 GenuineIntel ~2161 Mhz
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 6 GenuineIntel ~2161 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies LTD 72.11, 11/28/2006
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2765 (xpsp.050928-1517)"

Time Zone Eastern Daylight Time
Total Physical Memory 2,048.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 1.08 GB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 3.84 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Will this help?
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 9

RE: Not a Single Application

It was an expression. I think you know what I meant.

None of the major protection software manufacturers offer telephone support (free or otherwise) except to their Corporate customers, or in this case for virus removal, which is what I assume you are talking about.

If you want someone to remove an infection from your machine it usually costs money to do so no matter who you call.

Through these forums and others there is free support available, plus free Chat support for other technical and customer service issues.

Do you require help or what? If so, we need to know what is wrong as you haven't stated that yet.

hmm

Repeating what Peter said...

There are some many ways these infection fool the USER into getting themselves infected that you will be surprised that 90-100 % of the time you have explicitly given access to the infection by either clicking on the pop-up and telling Yes to a file or that codec to the video file (most common scenarios...)

This is true to all Anti-virus (read security applications..)

sadly most of the people assume that having a security application is more than enough to keep them at bay...........

Viruses created and spread these days are no stupid application that hits the computer directly..... there are some many ways they use...

Please look at this to stay at the top notch of protection...
http://community.mcafee.com/showthread.php?t=214271

finally please describe the issue you got.... we are here to offer you some sort of guidance

McAfee Came forward and Fixed my Problem

I want to thank McAfee for coming forward and fixing my virial infection without charging me more money.
A Mr. Garcia called me by phone. He asked the pertinent, proper questions and placed me on the right track to obtain help. He then had a technician call me and the tech was very helpful. My virus problem has been solved at this time, and I will continue to use McAfee products.

This process was not done as quickly as I would have liked, but it was done. McAfee did finally step up and fix the problem. I do understand that Viruses are and will be an ongoing problem, but as a "SERVICE" provider it is vitally important that company's like McAfee, and any others that wish to keep their current clients that they take the extra step and make that personal contact (NOT a recording) and actually remedy the situation.

McAfee has done that!
I will continue to use McAfee products.

Thank you McAfee, Mr. Garcia, and the service tech.

Respectfully,

William B.null Boyce

RE: McAfee Came forward and Fixed my Problem

Pleased to know that:)
Reliable Contributor
Message 8 of 9

RE: McAfee Came forward and Fixed my Problem

Glad it's fixed. In the meanwhile always be careful and keep Windows totally up to date and, if you wish, arm yourself with extra anti-spyware tools: http://community.mcafee.com/showthread.php?t=136913

I've marked this as solved.
Reliable Contributor catdaddy
Reliable Contributor
Message 9 of 9

Re: McAfee Won't Help

Closing\Locking thread as it is over 8 years old.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community