cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
al2
Level 7

McAfee Popup Ransom-CTB!479E38206A99 Detected Please Reboot.

Jump to solution

I've had a popup today saying that McAfee had detected Trojan Ransom-CTB!479E38206A99. Also said that I had to reboot computer as McAfee was unable to remove it while file still open and scan would automatically start after rebooting. Scan did not start automatically so I did a manual scan which showed nothing detected.

This Trojan shows in the McAfee Security Report as detected, but doesn't show if it has been eradicated.

Does anyone know if my computer is still infected, or would McAfee have removed it?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
catdaddy
Level 20

Re: McAfee Popup Ransom-CTB!479E38206A99 Detected Please Reboot.

Jump to solution

Could you please apprise us if your concern/issue is resolved? If indeed that is the case, please mark appropriately that this thread is answered.

Thank you in Advance

CD

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos
9 Replies
catdaddy
Level 20

Jump to solution

Moved to Malware Discussion > Home User Assistance > Discussions

Have you tried going into your Quarantined Items/Select and Delete the Detection, and restart?

See if the Scan starts after that. For a second opinion, try running the latest McAfee Stinger (Read how to use) followed by running Malwarebytes (Free) To keep it Free follow the instructions just before Downloading/Installing. This Superb Tool and others can be obtained Here:

I might add, that with these RansomeWare Infections, usually if they become encrypted it is almost impossible to recover. It is always best to keep a Back-up of your system files.

All the very Best

Catdaddy

McAfee Community Moderator

Consumer Products

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
al2
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thanks for this. It doesn't show in the Quarantine list. I've also run Stinger which hasn't found anything either.

I don't have Malwarebytes but I will download it.

0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

Jump to solution

Hopefully then your McAfee Protection caught and removed it then. If Your On Access Scanner detected it, and you restarted. Stinger should have detected it if it were to be on your system ,I would think. Hopefully all is OK.

Please apprise us of your results...

Regards,

CD

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
catdaddy
Level 20

Jump to solution

Could you please apprise us if your concern/issue is resolved? If indeed that is the case, please mark appropriately that this thread is answered.

Thank you in Advance

CD

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Once the files are infected with ransom then it can't be cured. i.e. encrypted files can't be decrypted. You can use AP rules to protect your machine. (McAfee_Labs_Threat_Advisory_Ransom_Cryptolocker / Combating_Cryptolocker_RevC / McAfee_Labs_Threat_Advisory-Ransom_Cryptowall)

catdaddy
Level 20

Jump to solution

Thank you for your input   If I am not terribly mistaken, the Op is using the Consumer Version. You are entirely correct in regards to the files should they become encrypted.

All the Best,

Catdaddy

Consumer Products

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
al2
Level 7

Jump to solution

Sorry for taking so long to reply. I've spent most of my time doing scans. They haven't detected anything, and as far as I can see any files which I have opened do not appear to have problems.

Thanks to all who have replied.

0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

Jump to solution

I just wanted to take the personal time to thank you for your confirmation, that all seems to be Okay It means a lot to all of us for one to do so. As not only myself, yet my Colleagues as well strive to assist yours and all Consumers whom may have issues, the best we can.

Again, it is much appreciated that you took the time to apprise us that your concerns, and issues have been resolved. Should you need further assistance in the Future, please do not hesitate to contact us. For if we by chance do not have a solution to your individual problem.

We as always attempt to direct you to someone that we feel could better assist you. Again thank you for apprising us

Wishing you all the very Best

Catdaddy

Consumer Products

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

Jump to solution

This is simply a FYI, I happened across this. As you can see this threat is in the McAfee Global Threat Intelligence Base.   https://blogs.mcafee.com/mcafee-labs/rise-backdoor-fckq-ctb-locker

All the very Best

Catdaddy

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos