cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
esteban
Level 7

McAfee On-Access Scanner service is malware

McAfee On-Access Scanner (MOAS) service frequently locks up my machine for 10 minutes to 4 hours.

During the lockup, Task Manager reports (when it can squeeze in some CPU) that disk utilization is at 100 percent during the entire time of the lockup, and nearly all of it is used by MOAS. It reports that over 50 percent of RAM is used by MOAS during the lockup, and up to 87 percent of the CPU is used by MOAS during the lockup.

McAfee employees are unwilling or unable to understand the issue. They repeatedly tell me that I've contacted he wrong office, or the wrong company, or respond with specific details about my McAfee account and product registration, then proceed to explain to me what viruses are, and direct me to free tools to remove viruses, as if I had no virus protection at all.

The malware is McAfee On-Access Scanner service. How do I kill or throttle it?

McAfee Security Center 13.6.1529 last updated 2/22/2015.

McAfee Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware 17.6.559 last updated 2/22/2015

McAfee Personal Firewall 14.6.495 last updated 2/22/2015

McAfee Anti-Spam 14.6.275 last updated 2/22/2015 content update 7/29/2015

McAfee Parental Controls 15.6.141 last updated 2/22/2015

McAfee QuickClean and Shredder 13.6.353 last updated 2/22/2015

OS NameMicrosoft Windows 8.1
Version6.3.9600 Build 9600
OS ManufacturerMicrosoft Corporation
System ManufacturerDell Inc.
System ModelInspiron 7720
System Typex64-based PC
ProcessorIntel(R) Core(TM) i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz, 2401 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/DateDell Inc. A13, 3/11/2013
SMBIOS Version2.7
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Re: McAfee On-Access Scanner service is malware

Usually if you purchased McAfee from Dell you contact Dell support initially and they if they cannot figure the issue out should escalate it to McAfee. If no good with Dell you call call McAfee. that said I do not know why they saying you called the wrong company?

Services and Support for Home and Office

dell support links to right screen.

If you bought elsewhere call support direct.

All that is null as your product has not updated in 5 months I would immediately run some of the tools here. Also when McAfee was installed did you ever had another scanner present either during the install or prior that needs removal and after so long I would relly consider a reinstall as a matter of urgency.

With Malwarebytes install the free version do NOT accept the free trial of the premium version. with Getsusp add your email address to the preferences so McAfee can update you on what was found.

How to uninstall or re-install supported McAfee products using the Consumer Products Removal tool

Also you should be on 14.0 security center soon as Dell is upgrading as that version is needed to be compatible with windows 10.

Another thought is try disabling access protection in navigation general settings and alerts and try updating you are getting Anti spam updates so something is working. Reenable AP before trying other suggestions.

Have you tried running the McAfee Virtual technician?

McAfee Virtual Technician

If all this of no use i will escalate your issue to the forum tech

catdaddy
Level 20

Re: McAfee On-Access Scanner service is malware

Moved to > Malware Discussion > Home User Assistance > Discussions

Cliff

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos