cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 51 of 63

Re: McAfee Did NOT Remove or Even Find the Ave.exe Trojan / Virus on my Computer

The best mode is actually safe mode with networking, that way it can be updated before running.  Of course it may already be up to date in whcih case disregard.

Sorry but this issue is burning me out of ideas.

Re: McAfee Did NOT Remove or Even Find the Ave.exe Trojan / Virus on my Computer

It may be burning you out of ideas but it is just plain burning me out.

Malwarebytes found two viruses.

Hijackthis made a file with a crapload of info.

Still no word from Sam.

I am going to go do something else.

Reliable Contributor
Message 53 of 63

Hijackthis makes a log which requires no action from you except to post it on one of the forums I listed earlier in the thread.   They will analyse it and suggest remedies.

miscka
Level 7
Message 54 of 63

I have a simple solution for Vista.Restart your computer.Before it goes to the password screen hit f8 repeatedly.This will give you a black screen with options.At the top is computer repair.Click on this one.The next screen will have some more options.Click on system restore.You can go back to a date before your computer was infected.I did this on my computer and it worked.If all else fails order a recovery disc from the manufacturer.I ordered one before I fixed the computer.I will have it in case a super virus gets me.Good luck to all.

Thanks for your attempts at assistance Ex_Brit. Sam, not so much.

My complaints are pretty specific.

Chat support=sales of removal service. That is not what I want from support. I know they can't remove the infection for me. They should be able to direct me to info on identifing and removing it.

Stinger and fakealertstinger. Too many versions on this site and even then they are not easy to find. I shouldn't even be able to find an obsolete version. Three of the versions crashed when ever I ran them. The ones on the required reading page Sam linked to where older versions.

I posted asking for info on the latest version on friday. Here it is on monday afternoon and still no reply on this. Home User Assistance, you think maybe a home user might be trying to get their computer fixed over the weekend? Put the files in ONE location. Replace those with newer versions. That way no matter how old the link it will always point to the latest version. Pretty basic stuff.

So as I type this the infected computer is at 88% of the format in preparation os a fresh install of windows.

Sugestions.

Make it easier to find useful information to fix issues.

Don't screw the pooch with updates that delete system files.

Have support personel support first and sell second.

I gave McAfee plenty of chances to help and they failed.

There is no recovery from this level of epic fail of customer support.

Reliable Contributor
Message 56 of 63

This thread is about recovering from an infection and numerous remedies have already been posted.

The bad DAT that caused so much trouble was corrected immediately and McAfee worked 24/7 dealing with customers on the issue and it has been solved.

If you have that issue then please start a new thread in the appropriate section.

I don't have time or energy or the expertise to discuss what McAfee should or should not be doing, sorry.  I'm only a volunteer here. 

If you want to discuss McAfee's policies with them by all means phone Customer Service.

Are you kidding?

"This thread is about recovering from an infection and numerous remedies have already been posted." and none of them worked and some pointed to obsolete exe files.

"The bad DAT that caused so much trouble was corrected immediately and McAfee worked 24/7 dealing with customers on the issue and it has been solved." Um maybe make sure your QA department is up to speed. An ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure. Just what I needed while dealing with a nasty infection, new syptoms.

"If you have that issue then please start a new thread in the appropriate section." Considering that none of the "help" on this thread helped why would I waste my time starting another thread?

"I don't have time or energy or the expertise to discuss what McAfee should or should not be doing, sorry.  I'm only a volunteer here." Yet you have time to post this? I understand that you are a volunteer. Good for you. Why not volunteer someplace where less of your time and energy are spent defending against epoc failures? Just a sugestion. Bleepingcomputer is all volunteer isn't it?

"If you want to discuss McAfee's policies with them by all means phone Customer Service." Meh, why bother?

Now to figure out how to unsubscribe so I will not get an email if you reply.

Reliable Contributor
Message 58 of 63

Suit yourself.  I'm tired.  Good night.

MMixer
Level 9
Message 59 of 63

I got caught by this at work when browsing the dell website when it happened, not sure how but submitted AVE.exe to mcafee

I first got a extra.dat to deploy via the console

Them I had a e mail with the following

Thank you for submitting your suspicious file(s). We have determined that the following submissions are handled by our AV signature DAT files.

Analysis Id: 5946084

--------------------

File Name Findings Detection Type

========= ======== ========= ====

ave.exe detected fakealert-wwsec.e trojan

DAT 5954 provides cover against all of the submissions shown above.

That was on the 17th, so made sure that dat was loaded into our epolicy, to cover eveyone else

Highlighted
rdavis
Level 7
Message 60 of 63

You are not alone, see our email of 4 weeks ago to McAfee!

Regards,

Robert Davis

It was a very sad day when 3 computers on our network last week was found to have been infected with a backdoor keystroke virus or Aware called ( tssetup.exe) (Dloader.Trojan) even though McAfee was completely up to date and 100% stock settings. This is the third time within one years time McAfee has completely FAILED to find, stop or even notify us of the existence of ANY TROJAN VIRUS OR AWARE on our 3 computers and network!

This time our loss was extensive and sevear. The only way we found out we had been infected was, charges were being made on our credit cards, merchant accounts, and bank checking accounts and we were being sent invoices from all those vendors of purchases we did not make!

I can't begin to tell you how violated and serious this infection was for us...... Three weeks later we are still cleaning up the mess and damage this infection caused us. Not to mention the mass amount of time erasing all 3 computers harddrives and re-installing everything from scratch because our daily back-ups could not be trusted as we had no idea how long we had been infected. It could have been a year or longer! Not to mention the amount of money we lost in false purchases.

If that was not enough try contacting 63 vendors, 28 on-line accounts and vendors, 3 merchant accounts, 5 bank accounts and 15 credit cards to have them close the existing accounts and re-open new ones, change passwords just took weeks to get done!

Thanks allot McAfee for your really PRETTY software that doesn't work! You cost us allot of time and money!

We're going back to NORTON Antivirus because after 4 years of using them we NEVER had a Trojan or ADWARE Virus infection!