cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kric
Level 7

Malwarebytes freeze :(

Hi

have been happily running Malwarebytes in parallel with McAfee on an XP for several years, but MB has now hit a sandbank and beached, 'frozen'. Malwarebytes technicians suddenly gave up looking for a fix (to my amazement) and even refunded my subscription. Okay. But what now: can anybody suggest a similar anti-malware programme for my XP please?

thanks

Kric

0 Kudos
8 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Re: Malwarebytes freeze :(

As a supplement to McAfee protection I use the following: MalwareBytes Free - no issues in Vista and Win 7 and did use it many times in XP SP3 before I ditched it, OK as long as no active protection is activated.

I also use SpywareBlaster and Windows Defender.

Did you post on MBAM Forums as this may be a problem file or disk errors simply stopping it from progressing:  http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/  ??

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 18/02/10 10:41:43 EST AM
0 Kudos
kric
Level 7

Hi Peter,

Are you saying that the MB freebie might work where the full edition fails please?

MBAM yes: but all the action happened off line - 'Ron' PM'ed the issue and could find no solution.

Pretty sure Windows Defender isn't running on the XP at the moment - worth a try?

thanks

Kric

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Yes, that's what I'm saying. I think for XP SP2 and up Windows Defender is a separate download.  (Not compatible with earlier versions of XP).

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/defender/default.mspx

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 17/02/10 5:12:56 EST PM
0 Kudos
kric
Level 7

Thanks Pete,

Will update

K

0 Kudos
kric
Level 7

Re: Malwarebytes freeze :(update)

hi,

removed Malwarebytes and downloaded free version - same behaviour - freeze betwee 5 and 60 seconds, never on the same file, but often on a 'dll' file.

download Defender?

thanks

Kric

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

You could try it.  Meanwhile I would post on the MBAM Forums a question why that's happening because it certainly shouldn't be doing it.

I've been using MBAM for years through several operating systems and never seen that.

0 Kudos
kric
Level 7

ok will do

downloaded Windows Defender last night which is running fine (relief)

will update if anything new comes up on this one

many thanks

Kric

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Good luck.

0 Kudos