Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Member
Not applicable
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 9

MalwareRemovalBot compensation?

Hi,

am posting on behalf of elderly couple who downloaded MalwareRemovalBot in good faith and in the mistaken belief that they were getting MalwareBytes Anti-Malware. For their pains they lost £40 / $65 and received a previously clean pc full of viruses 😞

their pc is clean now but their bank is kicking up a fuss over the money - every time the fraud/scam of MWRBot is explained to them, the bank just comes back requesting names, addresses and telephone numbers of the company involved - as if MWRB are going to operate under a genuine postal address!?

is there any way these folks can get their money back short of hiring a millionaire solicitor? the bank seems to be hinting thay actually GET BACK IN TOUCH WITH MWRBOT which i told them to avoid like the bubonic plague! 😮

thanks

kr
Tags (1)
8 Replies

RE: MalwareRemovalBot compensation?

That is entirely between them and the malware makers and the bank. I doubt very much anything can be done as good luck contacting malware makers.

If they paid by credit card then they can legitimately refuse the charge as the purported services were never obtained.

It's always sad to see this happen but it's just another case of caveat emptor, buyer beware!

Against my better judgement and despite SiteAdvisor's warnings to the contrary I went to their website

They have Live Chat Support here: http://www.malwareremovalbot.com/support.php (if it works of course is another matter)

I also read their EULA and it makes no mention of satisfaction guarantees or money back etc. etc.
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 4 of 9

many thanks Peter - they are not computer savvy and i fear MalwareBot (shortened term) will just suck them into another disaster. why on earth are these people allowed to trade? they have gone to considerable effort to emulate Malwarebytes artwork, etc, presumably to dupe the unwitting?

thanks again

kr

Those shady merchants drive me insane, but I would imagine they are offshore somewhere, beyond the reach of the law in a country that has lax regulations about stuff like that.

If the couple are in the US they can call the FBI I believe, not sure but it's a thought.
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 6 of 9

UK scenario - it is 'internet fraud' pure and simple but i'm not sure they will want to go down that complicated and time-consuming path: after they mistakenly downloaded MalwareBot 20 viruses suddenly entered their computer system, bypassing the Avast. Still, at least they have a clean pc now, thanks to your help here!

Best regards

KR

You could try emailing [EMAIL="support@MalwareRemovalBOT.com"]support@MalwareRemovalBOT.com and see if they offer refunds, but I doubt if they'll even answer.

That's the address they give in their Privacy Statement. I did some digging but still have no idea where they are situated.

But on second thoughts I wouldn't give them my email address.
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 8 of 9

no, you're right

just write it off to experience - they lost $60: another 48 hours and MalwareBot would probably have done for their entire pc + infected 100's of their contacts :eek:

best regards

kr

Well I wish them and you good luck. I might as well lock this I suppose.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community