cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
anythingww2
Level 7

Mail Delivery System, Delivery Status Notification Failure

Recently I started receiving these notifications that emails I sent, which I didn't, didn't go through.  Could this be a virus?  I am running Vista, Spysweeper and McAfee.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
dmeier
Level 13

Re: Mail Delivery System, Delivery Status Notification Failure

Do you get this message within Outlook, when sending email?

If so, have you confirmed you have internet access at the time of the error?

This could be something blocking port 25, or a number of things.

Let us know as many details as you can, and perhaps we can figure it out.

- David

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

anythingww2 wrote:

Recently I started receiving these notifications that emails I sent, which I didn't, didn't go through.  Could this be a virus?  I am running Vista, Spysweeper and McAfee.

This is most often caused by someone who has your email address in their address book getting an infection which is sending out spam emails spoofing random addresses (including your address) as the sender.

There isn't much you can do if you are sure that they aren't originating from your machine.  Eventually they will die out.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 11/17/09 11:52 AM
0 Kudos
dmeier
Level 13

Ahh yes, if these are emails that you are getting, and have not sent anything, ex_brit is correct, these are likely the result of spam emails that had spoofed your email address.  It blasted out an email "as you", and when some of those emails bounce, you get the return email.

Nothing you can do, if the above scenario is correct.

- David

0 Kudos
anythingww2
Level 7

Hi Guys

Thanks for your time.  I have run both Spysweeper and McAfee and my machine shows clean.  I can live with getting these notices, as long as I am sure my machine is clean.

I am using Windows Live Mail, and usually get them when my machine checks for new messages.  I am always connected to the net when I am at home.

I tried to copy and paste an example of the email here but this site won't let me.  They usually just end up right in my spam folder.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

I've received them myself in the past.   I think your can rest assured that there is nothing wrong at your end.

0 Kudos
anythingww2
Level 7

That's good to know.  Thanks Ex Brit

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

You're welcome.

0 Kudos