cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
far
Level 7

MS Outlook problem after McAfee update

Jump to solution

I performed and update and suddenly I cannot attach any type of documents to my emails.  this is absolutely new.  never had a problem before.  "you don't have the appropriate permssion to perform this operation".  i have never changed settings in outlook or in Word.  no other type of file can be attached.

you suck.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
exbrit
Level 21

Re: MS Outlook problem after McAfee update

Jump to solution

You definitely have malware onboard.   Try either of the following approaches:

Boot to Safe Mode and try initiating System Restore to go back to before all this started., or...

Boot into Safe Mode with Networking which hopefully will allow you to go to Malwarebytes Free site...it can be downloaded, updated and run all in that mode.

Do not accept the free trial otherwise you will end up with the Pro version which you don't need.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 11/04/13 7:32:35 EDT PM
0 Kudos
10 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

Are you sure you were attaching something to an email there?  It looks to me more like you were trying to send a reply to a non-existent inbox  (that email address isn't monitored anyway).

I'm not aware of any issues since a  recent update so not sure which McAfee component would be applicable, could be VirusScan or Anti-Spam or even SiteAdvisor, so I'm at a loss as to which section to move this to.

Perhaps you could try running the Virtual Technician to see if it fixes anything:  http://mvt.mcafee.com/

If that doesn't help try contacting Technical Support via the link under Useful Links at the top of this section.  It's free by phone or online chat.

0 Kudos
far
Level 7

Jump to solution

yes, it was in a reply, however, soley for an example.  it will not let me attach any document to any outgoing email.  thank you, i did download and run VT and it found nothing wrong.  How does SA or antispam software effect MS outlook emails?

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

I don't know but In this case it's probably the anti-virus that's causing this.  Try opening SecurityCenter, then Virus and Spyware Protection, then Real-Time Scanning and, in Settings, uncheck Email Attachments.  Click Apply.

Don't worry infections would still be caught if anything was saved to the hard drive that was bad.

See if that helps.

0 Kudos
far
Level 7

Jump to solution

well, i ran my superantispyware program and it caught a few virus (even a trojan) which was weird, but i do remember being "redirected" off of google yesterday...anyways, seem to be working fine.  Thanks again.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

Run Stinger and Malwarebytes Free linked in the last link in my signature below.

0 Kudos
far
Level 7

Jump to solution

when i try to download stinger, it goes here:

posted URL removed for safety sake - Mod

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 11/04/13 7:51:27 EDT PM
0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

You definitely have malware onboard.   Try either of the following approaches:

Boot to Safe Mode and try initiating System Restore to go back to before all this started., or...

Boot into Safe Mode with Networking which hopefully will allow you to go to Malwarebytes Free site...it can be downloaded, updated and run all in that mode.

Do not accept the free trial otherwise you will end up with the Pro version which you don't need.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 11/04/13 7:32:35 EDT PM
0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

Moved for the time being to Malware Discussion > Home User Assistance.

0 Kudos
far
Level 7

Jump to solution

I was able to run malware and security essentials and did a deep scan.  3 trojans removed.  Restored system to 5 days ago and it works fine.  Thank you for your help.

0 Kudos