cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jkudlick
Level 7

LiveSafe falsely detecting software

Jump to solution

I play a game called ToonTown Rewritten on two computers - one is a laptop and the other is a desktop. Both have LiveSafe installed and are kept up to date with the latest DAT files. The issue is that the initial executable file for the game – called launcher.exe, this is the interface with which the user logs in to the server and launches the main executable which actually displays the game interface – was updated to v1.2.3 in early February, but on Tuesday the LiveSafe on the laptop (but not on the desktop) began quarantining the launcher as Generic_GNU!4F87E7A2EB24. I added the file to the list of excluded files in Real-Time Scanning, but the file was still being quarantined. I am sending an email to virus_research@mcafee.com as well, but I can't include the file for automatic review because it only zips to 19MB and the file size limit is 10MB; I also can't seem to find a way to submit the file through the software, nor can I add it to the list of trusted files.

I have attached the file in question below, zipped and password-protected in accordance with the specified procedures for submission. I look forward to your reply. Thank you.

I have removed the attatchment of the file in question, until McAfee has Analysed this .

Cliff

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
exbrit
Level 21

Re: LiveSafe falsely detecting software

Jump to solution

The software maker needs to submit the file for clearance:  Detection Dispute Submission | McAfee Labs

0 Kudos
12 Replies
catdaddy
Level 20

Jump to solution

I have moved this to Consumer > Home User Assistance > Discussions. Perhaps it may be better suited for (Artemis! Discussion)

Could you please furnish us an Analysis Id # so we can proceed in your assistance?

All the Best,

CD

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

Run GetSusp or follow the submission suggestions here:  

0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

Jump to solution

Capture.JPG

Also when doing a search, I receive the following?

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos
jkudlick
Level 7

Jump to solution

: I haven't received a response to my email yet, but I will provide the Analysis ID as soon as I get one.

0 Kudos
jkudlick
Level 7

Jump to solution

Oh, I also realized that it was quarantined as "GenericR_GNU!4F87E7A2EB24" – I had forgotten the R in my initial post. Also, I was able to play the game on my desktop this morning without an issue since I had excluded the file from real-time scanning, so there may be an issue with the particular scanning engine on my laptop. I'll try to provide version and build information later.

UPDATE: And real-time scanning on the desktop just started quarantining the file despite it being on the exclusion list...

0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

Jump to solution

I might add that following a 'Web Advisor Site Report' I get the following http://www.mcafee.com/threat-intelligence/site/default.aspx?url=https://www.google.com/%3fgws_rd%3ds...

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

Jump to solution

Having said all this, it could be the (Launcher.exe) and the Newer Version causing McAfee to detect it. Since there is a maximum of (10) mbs for each submission, we may have to contact someone on your behalf, how to proceed further.

All the Best,

CD

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos
jkudlick
Level 7

Jump to solution

This issue is also not isolated; other users are having the same exact problem. McAfee thinks Launcher is a Threat - MMO Central Forums

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

The software maker needs to submit the file for clearance:  Detection Dispute Submission | McAfee Labs

0 Kudos