cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JAYDEEBEE
Level 7

Laptop hit by "amy.exe" trojan/virus now get blank screen on boot up

Hi all,

I'm running the current McAfee securitycentre on my Dell vostro 1500 laptop.

I alway run scans and download updates etc. so like to think my system health is always very good.

Last week it seems my hotmail was hacked and when running a full system scan securitycentre flashed up that it had found an infected file/trojan and needed to restart.

I followed the prompts, but never got to restart.

When I try to the Dell screen appears as always at the beginning of bootup but then the screen just goes blank, not black/off, just blank.

I seem to remember that when originall shutting down, a box quickly flashed up about a .exe file not being able to run. I think it was called "amy".

I also am running desktop maestro, a pctools product. could this be conflicting with what security centre wants to do and therefore leaving me open to this kind of infection?

Any suggestions? I wanted to go through the virus removal process but it seems you actually have to have a running system to do that remotely!!!!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
vinod_r2
Level 11

Re: Laptop hit by "amy.exe" trojan/virus now get blank screen on boot up

Request  you to spend some time on this document and perform the indicates steps.

https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-1294

ideally we could start off by Running the latest version of stinger and update the logs of the same in next reply

regards

Vinod

0 Kudos
JAYDEEBEE
Level 7

Hi Vinod,

Many thanks I will try this tonight. However if I can remember rightly I have tried this already.

I did F8, start in safe mode (no network, does this make a difference?), and still got the same problem, the screen just goes blank, I never get to see the desktop.

As I say I wall try this, but think I will fall at the 1st hurdle!!

JDB

0 Kudos
JAYDEEBEE
Level 7

Dear Vinod,

As I thought, this hasn't fixed my problem.

Whilst booting up I have pressed F8 and chose "safe start with networking". I simply get a blank screen when this is done. I left it for a god 10 minutes to see if anything changes but unfortunately it remains blank.

Where do we go from here?

0 Kudos