cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Laptop hit by "amy.exe" trojan/virus now get blank screen on boot up

Hi all,

I'm running the current McAfee securitycentre on my Dell vostro 1500 laptop.

I alway run scans and download updates etc. so like to think my system health is always very good.

Last week it seems my hotmail was hacked and when running a full system scan securitycentre flashed up that it had found an infected file/trojan and needed to restart.

I followed the prompts, but never got to restart.

When I try to the Dell screen appears as always at the beginning of bootup but then the screen just goes blank, not black/off, just blank.

I seem to remember that when originall shutting down, a box quickly flashed up about a .exe file not being able to run. I think it was called "amy".

I also am running desktop maestro, a pctools product. could this be conflicting with what security centre wants to do and therefore leaving me open to this kind of infection?

Any suggestions? I wanted to go through the virus removal process but it seems you actually have to have a running system to do that remotely!!!!

3 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Laptop hit by "amy.exe" trojan/virus now get blank screen on boot up

Request  you to spend some time on this document and perform the indicates steps.

https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-1294

ideally we could start off by Running the latest version of stinger and update the logs of the same in next reply

regards

Vinod

Hi Vinod,

Many thanks I will try this tonight. However if I can remember rightly I have tried this already.

I did F8, start in safe mode (no network, does this make a difference?), and still got the same problem, the screen just goes blank, I never get to see the desktop.

As I say I wall try this, but think I will fall at the 1st hurdle!!

JDB

Dear Vinod,

As I thought, this hasn't fixed my problem.

Whilst booting up I have pressed F8 and chose "safe start with networking". I simply get a blank screen when this is done. I left it for a god 10 minutes to see if anything changes but unfortunately it remains blank.

Where do we go from here?

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community