I am using McAfees latest version but I have jumping pages -like if i were scrolling- up and down or changin menus rapidly in office applications. Not normal but after running McAfee and Stinger still can't find the virus doing this....any suggestions?
Are you sure it's not your mouse playing up? When they get old, you sometimes get this problem of mouse stuck in scrolling mode.
Try plugging a different mouse in your computer to see if the problem goes away.
No I am sure it wasn't as I even reinstalled the software and cleaned up the mouse. At night I ran the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and got this on the log:
Registry Values Infected:
Why would the McAfee antivirus get infected? Obviously previous runs of the McAfee antivirus came out with a clean scan. Should I review anything else?
This is the report from the web page you indicated, but no specific details, at least for me.
McAfee Labs - Beaverton
Current Scan Engine Version:5400.1158
Current DAT Version:5868.0000
Thank you for your submission.
Analysis ID: 5753072
Well, that's consistent with your clean scans. This responce means that one of our analysts is going to look at your submission in depth,
so we should wait for the results.
You have submitted the C:\ProgramData\McAfee\VirusScan\Data\TFR7D8A.tmp file itself, not just the MalwareBytes log, right?
IreneMessage was edited by: imikhlin on 21/01/10 10:24:45 CST
Unfortunately I couldn't recover the infected file. What worries me is that the McAfee AV got infected and reported clean scans. Though not as much as before I ocassionally still get some jumping pages and lost the scrolling funtion on the mouse. Is there something else I can do?
That .tmp file that MalwareBytes detected in the McAfee directory is actually a legitimate .tmp file created by the McAfee VirusScan product, looks like MalwareBytes had a false detection on that file. Not going to impede the function of McAfee as it'll create another .tmp file there. So McAfee wasn't actually infected.
Additionally the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\DisallowCpl\1 entry "detected" by MalwareBytes also is not necessarily caused by Malware. This can be configured by Group Policies and othe rsoftware as well. Not saying there wasn't something malicious on the system that set this at one time, but also are other reasons for this. With MalwareBytes not detecting other malware on the system (other than the false detection above) leads me to believe that this is likely just a bit of over-aggressiveness by them as well.
Everything else I see leads me to believe that you've got a mouse problem going on. I've found a lot of conversations around this type of behavior with Logitech and Razer mice ranging from hardware to software issues. I'd recommend borrowing a mouse from a friend or co-worker and see if the issue continues (you may have to install their mouse software).